Where do you play (aka How low do you play)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Selta, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Chest/High

13 vote(s)
  2. Chest/Low

26 vote(s)
  3. Stomach

35 vote(s)
  4. Hips

26 vote(s)
  5. Knees or lower

2 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey all! I was just wondering where you guys all play your basses at. I notice that it seems older bassists play them up higher on the chest whereas now-a-days we play them lower. I like mine down by my knees but that's becuase I have longer arms. And it's really comfortable there too. Also, if you finger pick, where at? Above a pickup, on the neck near the bridge? I was just wondering after I watched one of my teachers play bass and it was almost hitting his chin....
  2. I have my bass pretty high, I really like it. Makes it a lot easier to play difficult things, and it also (imo)slaps better. Where I finger pick depends on what bass I am playing (depends on the pick up location). Check out this pick to see how high I have my bass (ofcourse it isn't me in the pic, but I wear it at the same hight) Myung rules!
  3. Thats because older players are wiser, and they have been playing alot longer:D

Actually I could never imagine it being comfortable to play anwhere underneath the belt. I am 6'3, and I have extremely long arms, and I find it most comfortable, and easiest to play with my bass strapped somewhere around my upper stomach, lower chest area. The farther you lower your bass, the sharper of an angle you have to put your wrist at, which makes it much more painful, and you have less agility. Do this: Stick your hand out straight in front of you and then raise your entire hand straight up. then slowly lower your arm, keeping your hand pointed up. Once your arm hits about a 45 degree angle, your wrist will problably start to hurt. This is the reason you should play higher
  4. I have it around the stomach. I play alot sitting and when I stand this is the most comfortable position for me.
  5. plucking-area is in between my bellybutton and uhm.. " Johnson " ( ;) )
  6. i play mine chest high,
    i used to play it really low, in fact, as low as the strap would go (my guitarist plays it with the top of the body below his croch, which obviosly means that he can't play it very well, it's all an image thing for him!)
    but then i found out that playing it higher was a lot easier, especially for slap and fingerpicking, and now it's as high as the the strap goes!

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    1. Wrong forum
    2. It's been discussed extensively
    3. I play chest-high because it's best for versatile and agile playing. Choosing the bass position just because of looks and/or image is lame...
  8. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    See, I like to play around my crochish. Not for looks or anything, just becuase thats where I play best. I've tried higher (never lower though) and I just feel like I'm being held back. I dunno, I just think it's more "comfy" lowered.
  9. P.S.
    it's not only older people who play it high,

i'm 16 :D

also, try playing it higher for a couple of weeks and learn some new songs, then go back to playing it where you play it now, you will probably find it a lot harder to play the same piece with the strap so low

but that said, if you play heavy music and use a pick it's probably easier to play it lower, when i have to play heavy stuff i always lower the strap so i can head bang properly, :p thankfully we don't play heavy stuff to often 'cos it really hurts my wrist

10. I set my bass height so it is the same whether I'm sitting or standing. It usually rests across the lower part of my chest, and when I'm sitting, the body is not supported by my legs, but instead it is supported by the strap. The neck is always angled upward at ~30 degrees. This height allows my fretting hand to maintain the proper position at any place on the neck.
    In my opinion, playing a bass at your knees is ridiculous, unless you WANT to get carpal tunnel syndrome and WANT to have a difficult time playing difficult passages.
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I wear my bass pretty high.. my levys strap is all the way up.. theat where I play fastest b/c im not strecthing all my muscles trying to reach the strings.. you can also see the what you're doing better..

Why are jazz bassists and guitarist wearing their instruments high.. not because that is what jazz musicians do.. its because you play better that way.. That is why Jazz guitarists for the majority are faster than alot of other guitarists.. same for jazz bassists..
  12. BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I play mid chest. Reason is it is a lot easier to play technical stuff. Also, when I play low with a very heavy old p-bass I start to feel hunchbacked. I also just realized that the height I play IS exactly the same height when playing sitting down!

I also make it a rule to play standing at all times. I have never had the chance to sit and play a gig!
  13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

PHLEGMER has dispensed a great deal of wisdom with his post. The wrist angle concept is right on the money. I play while sitting on a stool, so the bass stays VERY high. As for the "lower" way of playing, I've never understood just what the hell FiElDy is up to with that.

BTW, how DOES FiElDy get that sound???:confused: :confused:
  14. I used to play past my waist, but I found it limits my movements on stage. I now play around waist high and it's alot better :eek:
  15. I play with my bass just below "fusion geek" position. I find that it offers optimum left- and right-hand angles, especially considering that I like to wander up into the 9th-12th frets for fills (someday I'll have the balls to go above the 12th).
  16. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    right about here :)

this bass is mainly used for slap, when i like to have a little more room to let my arm hang. when i play legitimate jazz and more technically involved stuff on my fretless, the bass is hiked up a bit. im too lazy to get the other one out for a pic.

btw ivy is the bass;)
  17. I play low on my chest / high on my stomach. I'm 6'2" and could never play low slung. I finger pluck, and I find playing higher to be more comfortable.
  18. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    I play @ the midle of my stomach, but ti is not impossible to play low and be amazing. Just look a this guy. can anyone else identify him?

Guess th efile gave it away, but which band?
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Norwood can indeed play, but most guys who play that low can't. He's a case of 'the exception that proves the rule'.:)
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I play at groin level. It's comfortable there, either that, or with a longer strap, I play with the neck angled up at better than 45 degrees, and then have my plucking hand/arm pretty much straight (faux upright)