Where do you practice?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Oddly, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. An actual garage.

23 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. A paid dedicated rehearsal space.

61 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. Someone's basement/spare room.

105 vote(s)
    52.2%
  4. Cyber-Space.

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. We don't.

10 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. Other ... please comment.

32 vote(s)
    15.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Following on from a 'Garage Band' post,
    I'm curious about how many garages actually get used these days in the time-honoured tradition...

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Garages used to be for parking your automobile, but it seems these days they get used for storage, LOL.

Novarocker, J-Bassomatic and ERIC31 like this.
  3. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    @Killed_by_Death , that was what prompted this.
    In my area no-body uses a garage anymore. A lot of newer houses don't have them at all, and most older ones have them converted to an extra room.

4. AngelsBassBall

AngelsBassBall Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2011
    North Carolina
    Car goes in the garage, band rehearses at a dedicated rehearsal space.

Charlzm, Grumry and Oddly like this.
  5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    In my mind.

6. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    RVA
    Usually a living/family room of one of the band members. Rehearsed with a couple big bands that have arranged something with a church or school too.

rocu and Oddly like this.
  7. Ghostinthemach

Ghostinthemach Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    Longest running band doesn't...literally.
    Most active band (ok after you stop laughing....the above less active band is a monster unit!) in BL's garage which is actually a fairly luxurious event 'cause his wife prepares a small feast most occasions which lately is every 5-6 weeks.
    I clearly remember the days of being a young starving musician and the 4 of us rented a house out in the middle of nowhere just to have a serious rehearsal environment. Do bands do that today?

Stumbo and Oddly like this.
  8. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    When you have rain and snow you put your vehicles in a garage. A lot of houses have 3 stall garages.

Joe Ty and Oddly like this.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've only been in one band ever that rented out a rehearsal space. Every other band was either at someone's residence or didn't rehearse at all.

Garages are awful...bad sound, bad ventilation.

Oddly likes this.
  10. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    We all practice at home; we rehearse at either my home or the guitarist's home.

11. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    In a large conference room at a large office campus where we all work.

Oddly likes this.
  12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Mostly in the drummer's basement. Once in a while a paid rehearsal space (when drummer's wife is out of patience).

We once had a keys player who was a music teacher for his day job. We rehearsed in his high school music room. It was a TERRIBLE room for an amplified band - I hated rehearsing there.

Oddly and Rip Van Dan like this.
  13. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Our drummer managed/maintained a dedicated rehearsal space. It's really nice, and we get to use it free! The owner has taken back over, though. I don't know how long this will last

Oddly likes this.
  14. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I am currently in 3 working bands that rehearse on a scheduled basis. I also regularly sub in another band. As I think of it, two of these bands do rehearse in garages (even though both have been highly converted for rehearsal spaces).

Band 1 rehearses in the BL's music teaching studio which is actually a nicely converted old garage behind his home.
    Band 2 rehearses in a decently equipped basement studio with a stage and a house (literally) PA
    Band 3 rehearses in the drummers practice space which is part of a "School of Rock" type place he owns/runs. This space also has a stage, PA and amp backline.

Subbing band rehearses in the BL's 3 car garage which has been remade as a rehearsal space with a PA and drum set.

so, 2 garages out of 4

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Crowd crusher and Oddly like this.
  15. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    The keyboard player has a studio and that's where we are doing it...

funkinbottom and Oddly like this.
  16. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Depends on which band I am playing with at the time.

For the praise and worship band we practice in the youth area at our church.

For my band we practice in my music room at the house it's a spare bedroom.

For the band I fill in for practice in the band leaders garage.

So how am I supposed to vote?

Oddly likes this.
  17. My band practices in the lead guitar players house, which is an old Victorian house (could be older), really nice. Got a study we all use as our band's HQ. Great place to practice.

Stumbo and funkinbottom like this.
  18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Garages are way too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. The concept of garage bands must come from somewhere with a mild climate all year long.

Oddly likes this.
  19. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Currently rehearsing in our guitar players garage here in Washington state. He has to move his Harley's out (3 of them) to make room for us so we can set up and close the door. It works OK. Since I am using wireless, I can put my amp across the room, which I prefer. Problem is to move everything in and then out again, but beats not having a place to rehearse.

Previously, when living in Virginia, rehearsal space for a couple of the groups was in a basement. First one was the classic concrete basement with low ceiling. Could leave our gear there and that was a plus. Second one was really a nicely finished family and game room, where I could also leave my gear. I preferred the second one.

About the only time I really had a dedicated rehearsal space was in high school where we were allowed to use a an unused building in a county park for our rehearsals (they gave us the key). That was really nice.

If I had my preference it would be in a dedicated rehearsal space where I can safely leave my amp, cab, and mic. I never leave my bass anywhere.

funkinbottom and Oddly like this.
  20. Two-Spirit

Two-Spirit Mahogany Neck Through, Ampeg Gold Supporting Member

I hate rehearsing in garages. Finding rehearsal space is somebody elses problem. I'm the bassist, roll out the red carpet and rose petals.