Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where do you put your pick

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 19, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I tend to put mine inbetween my teeth when I'm not using it but i'd love to here were you lot stick those little bits of plastic. :p

2. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    I stick them under my watch band so if I drop one or one breaks I just grab one.

3. I've used ashtrays(not when people are dunking ashes in it) for a holder, I've looked at pic sticks and the clip-on ash trays for drummers as perspectives....But The one I am currently is my black wrist bands(work wonders and they absorb like no other) I slide one in my right wrist band when I switch to fingerstyle.....otherwise, I lay them on my cabinet or a PA main if I can get to it....

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When I'm gigging, it's in my mouth, when I'm practicing/sitting I set it in the bridge. It's a Regular L shaped one, and the pick fits nicely at an angle behind the saddle and under the string.

5. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Under the pickguard

6. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    I lick it and stick it to the most accessable place on my face/neck.

7. It was always under the pickguard when I was playing the Fender. Now that I switched to a bass without a pickguard, I can't find a convenient place to put it, and it's driving me nuts, because I'm constantly switching from fingerstyle to pick, depending on the song.

8. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    i put it in the crotch of my pants, it doesnt fall out, and nobody steals em' from me:)

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    In order of preference:

1. Under pickguard
    2. In pocket
    3. Taped to the mikestand
    4. On some non-vibrating nearby surface where I can grab one easily
    5. Scattered near me on the floor
    6. In my guitarists pocket or pickguard

10. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    When on rehersal: over the amp or over the drummer´s head:D :D

When on a gig, between the mic and the mic´s clamp, and over the drummer´s head:D

(I always forgot to buy some double face tape)

11. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I recommend licking them and sticking them to your forehead, I had one on there for about 45 minutes til I forgot about it and accidently wiped it off.

12. i can hold quite a few picks in my mouth when i need different guages.... big stubbies primarily....

just dont ever take a swig of something..... not pretty.....

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I keep them in my pocket, until needed. When I need one, I pull it out. If I am playing a song where I need to switch back to the fingerstyle tone, I either pop it in my mouth, or drop it on the floor.

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i dont use picks :(

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Between the tips of my right index finger and my right thumb.

;)

Sometimes I put it in my mouth and sometimes I just throw it on my desk or top of my cab. At a gig, I usually have 6 or 8 of 'em stuck to my mic stand and when I change picks (I change 'em when the heat from my hands makes them too pliable), I throw the "old" one on top of my amp. If and when I run out, I recycle 'em from the top of my rig back to my mic stand holder.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    When I use a pick (rarely) I stick it in my Dunlop Pick Holder. It holds about 4 regular gauge picks. It's the same shape as a standard pick and adheres to any part of the instrument. I have mine on the back of the headstock, but when I start gigging (it'll be a while) I'm gonna put it on a more accessible part -- probably the back of the body. It has a spring in it, so you can just slide the pick right out of it. Very useful. My brother has one on both his guitars as well.

17. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I usually keep them in my mouth...between my teeth.

18. I don't use a pick very often, but I keep a couple on my cab just in case.

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    1. Top of my amp
    2. Between my teeth
    3. In watch pocket in Jeans (or back pocket sometimes!)

In no particular order, just depends how I feel!

20. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I see that Brendan is the only one here who does the same as I do.

I always stick the pick in the bridge. Very easy to get it when you need to, and very easy to put it back.