Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where do you put your transmitter?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassistJ, Jul 1, 2002.

1. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Imagine this situation: Bass Player A makes himself a bass strap. He really likes it. He likes it so much that he does'nt want to mar its appearence by putting several strips of velcro on it, which has been his main way of attaching his wireless transmitter for close to 8 months now. And he is'nt too thrilled about the idea of tapeing it on the strap every night then cutting the tape off. Also, said Bass Player A does alot of silly crap like throwing his bass to the drummer, tossing it in the air and catching it, twirling it, etc... so the preferable place to put the transmitter is on the strap. What oh what is poor Bass Player A to do? What do ya'll out there in Talkbass land do with your wireless transmitters? All opinions and such are appreciated. I'm just plum out of ideas myself.

Let the grand debate begin. :D

2. Does Bass player A throws his bass to the drummer???
    poor drummer.. and poor bass.
    But well.. Why dont you make or get made a good looking bag to be attached with velcro ? But i mean well made..

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Poor bass.

Get one of those wireless systems that are tiny and dont need to be attched to the strap.

It'll probably fall off or break when you toss you bass, but oh well.

Peace
    Nick

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Poor player A sounds like a good candidate for an internal transmitter...

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Beat me to it HeavyDuty! Is there any way you could stuff the thing inside an electronics box (is applicaple?) If not, how about right on the bass, the back of it where it wont annoy you. If not, internal will solve everything :) :D.

6. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    I do a lot of physical stuff so my transmitter has to be locked on pretty good. I tape mine to the strap, on the inside surface, between the butt of the guitar and where the strap touches my back, switches DOWN.(much easier to reach them that way). I also tape the slack in the transmitter cord to the strap to avoid having the big, snaggable loop hanging down. The transmitter is taped so the battery compartment is accessable, but also have a small piece of tape on that to prevent it from popping open ( it's happened). I just leave the transmitter on the strap.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The mini wireless things I mentioned before could probably be slipped into a bass with a little routing depending on the bass.

I believe they are made by Samson Tech and AKG.

Peace
    Nick

8. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    To be honest I've thought about internal transmission but I honestly have NO bloody idea how I would even go about doing that. Sounds like a major mod job on the bass at the very least. And dispite the fact I toss the thing around I do love my basses enough not to attach the transmitter to the body externally. Keep the ideas coming though, I really appreciate it.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If the basses you are talking about are the homemade basses in your profile, then Im sure you know how to usea router.

Just rout out some space in the back big enough for a mini wireless system and wire it to the output jack. I dont thing you should put it in the control cavity if its shielded, and its probably a good idea to try to have the antena sticking out of the side of the body.

Peace
    Nick

10. i just put velcro on my strap, wrapped some packaging foam around it (i dont quite know what to call it), then put one of those velcro cord tie-wrap thingys around the both of em, works pretty good for me.

11. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Y'know, it seems way too obvious a solution, yet I've never seen it. Has anybody here ever seen a strap made to accomodate a transmitter? Or even a pouch that slides or locks onto your strap? If not, I'm gonna go invent one and make a million bucks:p

I'm off to the patent office!!!!

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    JPJ uses a strap with a pouch like this live - I don't know if it's for wireless or the fretboard LEDs. It looked as if the pouch was not a commercial product - it looked homemade. But I could be wrong...

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My girlfriend is knitting me a bass strap, and it would've had a pouch for a transmitter if I was gonna get one, but since I decided not to, it wont.

Peace
    Nick

14. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Your Girlfriend knits? How old is she?

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay

Thats a year and a few months older than me.

I am not a pedophile. (Im sure I spelled that wrong)

Or a kid that dates grandmas.

My wonderful girlfriend (Mel) who Ive been with for about a year and 1/4 is also the guitarist for the band I am in. She is very talented and can also sing. She learned to knit from her grandmother.

:) interesting eh?

Peace
    Nick

16. I use a cell phone belt clip with the small button. Glue the small button on the transmiter and leave the belt clip on the strap. You can buy them for less than $5 anywhere. The transmiter will hang straight up and down no matter how much you move around.

17. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    YES and I still have it. It even has leather "tubes" for the antenna(1970's) to be routed through.
    NADY made these in the 1970's when I got my first NADY blue" wireless.

[​IMG]

The strap is pretty useless now due to age & wear and sits in a parts box somewhere around here.

I've got a Levi strap that is fine but no place for a Sennheiser 172 to park....

18. Back Pocket

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

1) I use a wireless and just clip it onto the strap.

2) Don't do that.

If you don't toss the bass around, you can simply clip the transmitter onto the strap and it won't fall off. Problem solved.

20. roro92

roro92

Sep 14, 2008
    I use a sweatband. The clip on my Sennheiser locks it on the outside and it's thick enough to get itself locked bitween the strap and the sweatband. Works great.