1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where do you rest your thumb on your Ric?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bottom Feeder, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have a 1981 Ric 4001 and I have a tough time getting comfortable on it. It seems I can't find a good place to anchor my thumb.
    The bridge pup cover extends out too far from the strings so I have to stretch too far. I've tried placing it into the pup cavity and resting on the pup itself but, my thumb kinda gets stuck in there. I've also tried the floating thumb technique but that is wierd to me as well.

It just seems there is too much stuff on the Ric and it is in the way. Even if I use a pick I catch my hand on stuff. My Jazz is clutter free and the pups are a perfect place to rest my thumb.

I was thinking of having a pup cover made that is flush with the rest of the body or buying one it they make it already.

2. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    It took me a while but it got used to just anchoring on the bridge pup cover, and then just going down to the E string for playing D and G strings.

I usually play in many different places on my Ric. The bridge pup cover is the place I favor the most tho. Sometimes I anchor on the pickguard right above the neck pup (the pickguard has a little lip that you can rest your thumb on), but this is kinda high too. Another place is the neck itself, like Geezer did. And one more way is to not anchor your thumb, but to put the inside of your wrist up near the top on the body (watch some MetallicA vids with Cliff if you don't understand), but when I do this, I find myself just moving my thumb down and resting on pickuguard anyway.

Oh, and sometimes I put my thumb right on top of the bridge pup itself, like you said, but thats not very comfortable.

Just try to adjust your technique to be able to anchor on the bridge pup, and bring your thumb down to the E string for the ones you can't reach. I suppose you could also try anchoring not on top of the bridge pup cover, but on the side of it or something.

You will figure something out, I did, it just took me a few weeks.

--Curtis

3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Sorry to create a diversion, but...
    I don't anchor my thumb at all. It just hangs, relaxed, and helps to mute strings. If you can get used to doing this, you'll have more mobility, less tension and you'll never again have to worry about where to anchor it. (Any old bass will do.)
    Just my two cents.

4. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    Some people just find it more comfortable and more practical to anchor their thumbs. I agree that what you say would be easier, but its a matter of what comes naturally. I tend to not force myself to learn something, I just play how it feels best for me.

5. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    I have recently changed where i rest my thumb. I use the floating thumb technique. For playing the E string i rest it on the pick up, for playing the A i rest it on the E string and rest it on the A string for the D and G string. I find it gives me more control over the strings and muting, as i mute the E with back of thumb when playing D and G. I rarely rest on the pups..I also feel more connected with the instrument. :bassist:

6. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    I don't drop my thumb any lower than 2 strings above the one I am playing, it just feels too low and not accurate enough for speed. If I am playing the G string, I lower my thumb to A, and for playing D I lower to E. For A and E I play on the bridge pup cover. Altho I only lower from the E string for stuff that doesnt need to play the A string, or when I am playing exclusively on the G string I lower to A.