where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Sep 21, 2004.

1. simple enough. i want to see what you guys forsee in your future!

as for me, ill be either in grad school or in my first job as a music educator and/or studio musician and producer. i am currently at USC getting degrees in music ed and media arts recording and those are the two jobs im going for the most, but as always we never know what the future holds so we'll see. :)
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    In a mirror or some other reflective surface - unless technology changes dramatically in the next five years. :D
  3. 2005: Year 12.
    2006: First year of uni. Studying a Bachelor of Education, majoring in Music and Psychology education.
    2007: second year of the course.
    2008: third year.
    2009: fourth year.

How boring. :meh: lol
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Where we think we'll be or where we'd like to be?

Where I think I'll be:
    Behind some desk working a crappy job for crappy pay.

Where Id like to be:
    Doing sociological research focusing on the disparities between races and how racism contributes to it while teaching durring the day, gigging at night.
  5. Oh, well in that case, I'd also like to be gigging too. Or probably teaching at uni. Or doing something.

Like playing hexic all day. :D
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Dare to dream...otherwise you will be behind a desk working a crappy job for crappy pay....
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What I really want to do is drop it all and go back packing across Europe, living day by day.

Id also love to jump on board with a band and go touring the US, maybe Canada in a van.

Sadly I cant do either of those because of health issues.

The one I posted earlier was just what I hope I can do but as Ive learned, !@#$ happens so Im not gonna be terribly suprised if that doesnt work out either.
  8. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Starting my doctorate, funded by teaching students as a young academic :)
  9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    5 years older. :(

Not much will change from where I'm at now. I'll have a few more basses, a little better at playing them. Hopefuly, my site will be a little more established. Other than that, I'm comfortable with the way my life is going now. Why change a good thing.
  10. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    same, except i would be funding my MA with the earnings i saved from my successful modelling career that peaked at age 20, and led to various musical opportunites ;)
  11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

...or...maybe just the grad student/TA thing. to get a phd in physics.

and in not using capital letters on the internet.
  12. I'll have 1 year left of my PhD in either Clinical or Research Psychology...shoot me...

13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Why "[sic]"?

While I would question the accuracy of the statement, it seems to me that the grammer is only at fault in that a hyphen should have been inserted between "pile" and "drivingly."
  14. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I just hope I'm stable, with my own place, decent job, and new car. If everything goes to plan I'll be working for a friend of mine in a musical equipment repair/ sound running operation (after I graduate from technical college of course). :bassist:
  15. the most important part for me is to move closer to home. i moved from michigan to mississippi, and i'd like to be where i can drive to my parents pretty much whenever if there's an emergency. 14 hours isn't a "at the drop of a hat" drive, but six hours is.

i'd like to be in a city where i can find like-minded musicians and people, and i'd like to keep working in audio (haven't left the industry since i entered it in 1998). most important, though, is being close to home and being in a band that isn't a cover band and gets paid to tour.

16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "Celebrating the fifth year anniversary of you asking me this question!"
    - Hedberg

brad cook
  17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Subject verb agreement, yo.

Slipknot is a collective noun which describes a group of people. A group is a single entity and thus you should you the for of "to be" which goes with singular nouns, "is".

Of course, this is just according to the formal rules of American usage. Ive been told that across the pond they consider collective nouns to be plural entities.
  18. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004

Being from the right hand side of the pond, I would use "are".
  19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Fill out your profile so we can see that!

Its kind of funny. "Nickthebassist" is also from your side of the Atlantic. It makes it even more confusing.
  20. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    English subject verb agreement would suggest that it should be Slipknot are pile drivingly heavy. Slipknot is a collective noun and therefore are is used as it is the present plural form of the verb "to be."

I cant comment on American usage but I could ask some of my good friends studying American English, if you would so like :)

I guess as with any language however organised there are regional inflections and dialectal features. Ranging from simple pronunciation variation to complete changes in the grammatical structure of the language.

Example: People from Cornwall would be commonly found saying "Is it ok if I make the light off" when the 'rest' of us would expect to hear "can I turn the light off"