1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where do you slap?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ZoSoIV, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Over the pickup (if two, between the pickups)

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Closer to the neck

80 vote(s)
    89.9%
  3. Closer the the bridge

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV

Mar 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Where do you slap?

2. Silas Martinez

Silas Martinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Denver, CO
    WHEN I slap, which is pretty rare, I tend to slap just below the edge of the fretboard. Just feels like the right place to do it.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It IS the right place to do it.

4. I slap right by the neck, but in one song I was writing with a friends band I was slapping almost on the bridge because that was the sound they wanted for some reason. Wierd sound...too bridgey

5. depends, if I'm just messing around with some heavy beat on my B and E strings I'll slap near the bridge because the tone fits better. I used to slap right before the neck otherwise, now I slap on my 24th-22nd frets (my other bass only had 20, so it's essentially the same position though)

6. Slap right onto your very last fret... that's where you get the most punch and clarity!

7. I slightly disagree with Fredo's post. It's probably because of how I slap though, I slap down and through the string, resting my thumb on the one below. So I can afford to hit a couple of frets up. But for a straight on technique, he's right. Very last fret all the way.

8. I thump around the 22nd fret.

9. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Over the pickup, sounds alright to me :)

10. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    It really depends on the kind of tone you want. If you slap in one position then you will get one tone, and so on.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I slap above the fretboard, which ends up being at about the 21st/22nd fret on a 24 fret 'board.

12. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    So does your string resonate off the fretboard? If I slapped over the pickup I'd get big pops from the strings hitting the pickup poles.

Maybe your technique is different?

I slap at the bottom of the fretboard.

13. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Over the very last fret or just below it is generally regarded as the proper location. Whats harder is thumb orientation and actual touch. I never get those two right so I gave up on slapping. :ninja:

14. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Where do I slap?

On disco tunes at weddings.

That's just about the only time I won't get fired for it. But in that context, m*therf*ckers just love it.

Sorry.

Where you slap really depends on alot of variables. If you double thump, you gotta be off the edge a little.

For variations, youtube Marcus Miller and Larry Graham and see how different their techniques are.

15. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    MEGAbump

Also, I like to slap in the shower, on a train in a plane, in the rain on a bus, in the shed and so on..

16. Left cheek, then duck & run. :ninja:

17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV

Mar 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I get the best boom from my slap-sound when I strike the string maybe two inches away from the bridge. It seems I in the in vast minority on this one, but it just feels like the string reverberates much more when I hit it here.

18. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Closer to the neck.