Where do you sling it? And why?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tb-player, May 19, 2021.

1. As low as I can get it

2. Low, but vertical. I need to see that neck!

3. Low, but more around the belt

4. Covering my belly with the headstock at 45-degrees

5. Covering my belly with the neck at 90-degrees

6. Hike it up there. I like to feel it on my chest.

7. Can't get high enough. There's magic in the bowtie bass.

8. I like carrots.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I have freakishly long monkey arms so I keep it low enough that my right index and middle fingers naturally land on the strings with my arm completely relaxed. My main basses are balanced such that they form the 45 degree angle.

More recently I have experimented with raising it slightly, but generally I keep it low. I play at a church and sometimes use their bass; I almost always have to adjust the strap a lot longer when I play it.

2. AFRO

AFRO

Aug 29, 2010
    when I got good enough to play out: and WAY back when I had the 4 banger.. I was really low sling type. (like that first Doug Pinnik pic...) my gangly XL hands can wrap around the neck pretty good and I can 'thumb-fret' the E and and even A string(s) (kinda Hendrix like) so it didnt really matter how low I could sling it.

after I got my 5 string, the bass gravitated MUCH higher up the sling line pretty much immediately.

Now: I am closer to position in posts #19 and #20 <-- Standing pics in this post.

This lift was mainly because the extra string made the fretboard significantly bigger, so I had to adjust up since I was giving myself some wrist issues with the low sling on the higher strings...the 'Hendrix grip' was less effective on a 5 slung low for me. then I started to go more towards the 45 degree angle as well to get my wrist in most optimal playing position for OFPF (one finger per fret) fingerings.

Ill highly doubt I will ever go back to a 4 (well at least CURRENTLY I have no plans to ever do so) so I will be in the hinger sling range.

stay low my friends

3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    My strap is set so when I sit down the bass is in the same position.
    I have one strap that's a little longer which I use mainly for rock where the playing is faster and more straining for the right hand but the fretting is easier.

bassface69 and jmlee like this.
  4. TRNSGRL

TRNSGRL

Dec 19, 2020
    Manchester, NH
    Low, but more around the belt... neck 45 degree-ish. Why? I suppose it just feels like a good mix between looking cool and feeling comfortable to play. I've tried both higher and lower positions but keep coming back to this one. Anyways, snapped a pic to illustrate:
    IMG_20210520_105225759[1].jpg

Sascha Erni, bassobrutto and Zak TMD like this.
  5. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    Like this.
    7D377872-87CF-4BF5-ACF6-48381B8DE8D9.jpeg

Sascha Erni and Zak TMD like this.
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    And totally preventable.
    upload_2021-5-20_10-5-10.jpeg

7. Blenin

Blenin Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Seattleish
    Like this. Can't wear it any lower because I have short little t-rex arms
    174484290_10159289480859675_2471961805046000188_n.jpg

8. Basvarken

Basvarken Commercial User

Dec 3, 2010
    Velp Rockcity
    Amateur Luthier / Gibson Bass Book
    _3915316_orig.jpg

at crotch height :cool:

bassobrutto likes this.
  9. And that's all what I yam!

Wouldn't have expected many people around here to have remembered that one, except perhaps for the spinach-eaters.

Liam Wald likes this.
  10. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    upload_2021-5-20_11-24-5.png

SoCal80s likes this.
  11. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    In that bunch of pictures, I'm either Geddy or the guy just above him, or somewhere in-between. I will pull the headstock more vertical when it suits what I need to play. What's in my avatar is about right; I don't get much more vertical than that.

12. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Based on the OP examples, about the same as Geddy, but without all the genius baggage.

13. jdthebassman

jdthebassman play to live live to play Supporting Member

I wear it the same height standing or sitting check my avatar.

14. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

High-ish, 45-ish

Used to wear them real low but they’ve risen over time

BDEBA4EB-885B-432A-9FC8-4C60ED3803ED.png
    889FDB75-0848-4F50-809A-04AEB6D5D908.png

15. Belly and 45. It really depends on the length of your arms. If you can touch your knees without bending over, then low slung is probably right for you. Also depends if you use a pick or not.

16. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Sit down and play with your instrument resting on your leg. Now stand up. The bass should hang in that same spot. Extreme low (rawk) and extreme high (bass necklace) will stress your arms/wrists/hands and result in repetitive stress problems.

gebass6 likes this.
  17. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    A bit lower than Geddy'ish for me I guess and probably closer to 80 degree neck angle as seen in my avatar pic. I think it gives me a nice balance of control of the instrument, looking cool and also being able to move the bass around a bit dramatically if the performance requires. Swing it, pull it to the side of the body, point at the audience, pull the headstock up or down etc.

I mix it up though. Sometimes I sling it a bit lower (especially playing rock with my P-bass) and the neck angle varies. When I was playing gospel I would hike it up a bit though not as high as the pic in the OP. That does seem to give me a bit more speed.

18. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Off the hip with a Slinger Strap, but really nobody is looking at me :)
    bass.jpg

Attached Files:

OogieWaWa likes this.
  19. Lenny JG

Lenny JG

Aug 3, 2019
    USA
    received_2992607740963959.jpeg Something like this usually

Sascha Erni, StevieMac and Emanuel like this.
  20. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021