Where do you spend that extra bit of money you get from gigs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marlat, May 5, 2005.

1. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You know when you earn money from side projects like playing gigs, band activities, or other small things that are not how you earn your crust. Do you find you reinvest that money or do you spend it on your other vices?

I find whenever I have extra money I spend it on my main vices:

a) buying CD's;

b) eating out; or

c) spirits.

Where do you spend that extra bit of money you get on the side?
  2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Band money is the best money. It's getting paid to have fun. I find I usually spend my band money on new bass toys, or blow it on other crap.

Heck, band money is like FREE MONEY!
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    But I am thinking about doing this pro this summer, so my BAND money will just be money money, not band money.

Money is good.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

5. All my monies go into my bank account, to earn interest. I spend little to nothing on anything, until I have heaps and heaps of money, and then I buy really expensive things.

Like basses, or overseas trips.

Stuff like that.
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Sounds to me like Steph LOVES MONEY!
  7. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    All my music needs are maintained with gig money. And this includes buying, maintaining and upgrading equipment, strings, etc. as much as paying the rent for our rehearsal space. So you want to satisfy your GAS? Then you work hard till you get the money! If you keep it that way and you're parsistent enough about it, life can give you a nice surprise and you may end up doing this for a living. To make money out of your music is ABSOLUTELY NO FREE MONEY, but the result of hard work, and can be a job (a very enjoyable one for us, but a job in the end). Despite the fact that I don't make a living with music, I do earn money so I consider it an extra freelance job with its high and low moments (in economic terms). This concept keeps me from joining the wrong people or the wrong projects and basically, waste my music-dedicated time.

8. Indeed I do.

Just not the Mike kind.
  9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

And all of you having Mike Money avatars will not bring him back from his well-earned vacation :rolleyes:
  10. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    oh, so thats who it is! I was a little confused :D

all these grinning faces staring at me.......
  11. I know, it's a bit much. And not funny, IMO.
  12. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I make a point to spend it on something that includes the wife & kids. They put up with quite a bit for this hobby of mine (especially the wife), so if we pull in a little cash on a Friday or Saturday night, it usually funds a day out of the kitchen for her, with a movie or a game to follow.

I get paid to have fun, then use the moolah to have more fun. :cool:
  13. Often times I like to get something to eat after a gig.

Submarine sandwiches are a late nite, after gig favorite. Subway always seems to be open, and their lettuce selection is second to none.
  14. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

same here ...

if i'm not saving up for anything in particular , then my
    band money gets spent on the wife and kids .

it's nice to have a little extra pocket change on the weekends .
  15. There's no such thing as extra money. :crying:
  16. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

sorry , extra money is just what my wife calls it ...
  17. Rent, food, drink, utilities etc. :meh: :meh:
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Gig money goes into a bank account. It gets spent on music expenses (GAS as well as repairs, lessons, strings, whatever) and CD purchases.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Gig money is mad money @ my house. It's mainly for my "toys" (bass, computers, gadgets, etc), but sometimes I treat the wife so she doesn't get upset when the girlies rush the stage. :p
  20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    small things...
    car payments
    health insurance

you know all those "extras"