Where do your bands practice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dave Metts, Jul 15, 2001.

1. I've got a really quick question for all of you that are in/have been in bands. I'm getting ready to move back to college (off-campus finally), and I've got a friend that is a drummer that wants to live with me. We'd really like to get together with some of the guitarists I know from last year and jam, but we don't have anywhere to play. Up until now we've just jammed at the drummer's house, but since we're going to be in an apartment now that's out of the question. We're a bit strapped for cash, but we need a place to practice.

So back to the point, I was curious if you guys could offer some advice from experience of good places for a band to practice/jam.
  2. Well, my *band plays at my guitarists house, because his brother owns a drum set, and our drummer doesn't. But I guess that doens't help you much.

*By band I mean 3 guys who usually jam for a while and then end up playing N64.
  3. My band rents a room at a local music store. $25 for 24 hours. They furnish the PA, as many amps as we need, full set of drums, mic's, CD and tape player, air conditioned, heated and no neighbors to call the police. Even supply guitars and keyboards if you ask them to. Bring your own equipment if you want to. Don't know of anywhere else you could beat that kind of a deal. If we need to buy strings, sticks, picks........etc they know we will buy from them so it helps both sides.
  4. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    :D:D:D That pretty much sums up my bands rehersals right now. But we'll get serious soon. I hope ;).

5. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    FunkSlapRumblefish and Ulyanov, i know exactly how that is. My band had just formed, and about a week later, our drummer goes out and buys a playstation2. for that first week or so, we didnt get anything done. we eventially got bored of it, and went back to playing......:rolleyes:
  6. I own a house, and I have (had) an empty basement room. So bingo, band room. It's just big enough to put everyone in, and still have enough room to move in. I'd rather it be somewhere else:) 4 extra males = dirty smelly house. But they are gettin a little cleaner.
  7. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    well i am also a college student (and also anxious to get back to skoo!), however i live in a dorm. we have a lounge on the ground floor with a pool table and a big tv that me and my friends (still trying to get a band) play in. it works out well since its just a quick move to the elevator :)
  8. My sister is an artist and when she was living at home, she rented out a studio for real cheap, and right next to her was where a band had set up their practices. I dont know how cheap it is, but if you get a band, you might want a permanent place to practice so that noone will yell at you.
  9. I have a studio in a warehouse in an industrial-area..
  10. LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    My band rents out a place where bands practice for $40 for 2 hours. They have amps, drums, mics and AP, and cords and air conditioning and music stands. All we bring is our instruments.
  11. jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I am also a college student (can't wait to get back to my band) and we played in a "music room" in the basement of one of the dorms. But now they took that away from us because they thought the stupid weightlifters needed more space. The place they put us in is right under rooms so they won't let us play there anymore, so now i'm off-campus w/ a basement so hopefully we'll practice there. Anyway, check around on campus see if there are any dorms or buildings that will let you have practice space. Got any friends w/ basements?
  12. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    In the process of building an underground studio behind my house.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Creepy ass old barn lined with mattresses. We added electricity, heat, AC, and lights. It's OK only because the neighbor likes our music.
  14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    A single-screen movie theater on Saturday mornings, before the first movie starts.
  15. damn.. my studio's walls are filled with special sound-dampening material that's like $ 80 per 1x1m
    i should have figured the old matrasses thingy out :(
  16. Lord Bishop

Lord Bishop Guest

Jul 16, 2001
    Brooklyn N.Y.
    My advice to you, find out what the law is on noise polution, there is usually a curfew on excessive noise and do like I do, play during the established hours. I live in an apartment building on the top floor and my windows face the street, and I've never had a problem.
  17. Thanks for the replies you all...

Right now things are looking a bit hopeless. I know nobody in the area that owns a house, and my drummer friend is looking for a place where he can play his drums everyday. Add to that the fact that we're broke college students and things start to look pretty dim. We're all pretty much novice players, so renting out space a few hours at a time would probably be non-productive.

Again, thanks for all of the replies.... Keep 'em coming!
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Check with the music department at your school, they usually have rehearsal rooms. It might help your case if you signed up for some music courses :)

In fact, if you can take music courses to fulfill your humanities requirements at school you should do it. Why not study something you're really interested in :)

Good luck!!!
  19. We get together at the social club of the drummer's employer. The guitarist is an associate member as I am now, too.

We have about 2-3 hours, one night a week.

Its free of charge but we'll be doing them a free gig at Christmas as a kind of pay back.
  20. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    When we first started out, we rehearsed in a garage owned by our guitarists girlfriends parents. Pretty crappy acoustics since we couldn´t put any sound dampening material up, but it was OK for one summer. Next stop was another garage in a house which our drummer rented for a year. We put mattresses and other sound dampening material on the walls, but since this was in a residential neighborhood that wasn´t enough. The police came 3 times because of neighbors complaining about excessive noise :)
    Then we had a little space in an attic of our drummers workplace. That sucked, but it got by for a summer.
    Last November we placed an ad in a local newspaper asking for a room to play in. Against all odds our ad was replied immediately (practice rooms are very hard to come by here in Iceland), and now we´re renting a 40m2 (133sq. feet) room for about 300$ per month. Kinda expensive but it splits 4-ways between the band members so it isn´t that bad. On top of it all, we can do whatever we like to our room. We carpeted some of the walls, carpeted the floor, put up sound dampening material on the walls etc. The only thing we need is a decent air conditioning. But we´re working on that one.

My advice is that you should try to place an ad in some local newspaper. Worked for us, it could work for you!