Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where does a Fender guy go for a 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Coxtosen, Sep 15, 2005.

1. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Hello. Kinda new around here.

I'm an alder/ash body, bolt on maple neck kind of guy. I like all of the juicy, springy overtones that you get out of a traditional Fender style bass.
    Why is it that nobody makes a 6 string bass that is more like this?

I've been looking around and all I see are dense, exotic wood basses that are mostly neckthrough. I just can't get into that dark, super focused tone. I can't really find anything. I even bought a beat up Ibanez SR406 on a whim to fix up, but its about as resonant as a potato.

So I'll ask again. Where does a Fender guy go for a 6 string bass? I had a guy ask me a while ago: "If your a Fender guy, what do you want with a 6 string? :rollno:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Fender does just fine in the 4 and 5 string market, they have no need to introduce a 6. They did sporatically over the years without much success, and make custom shop basses for Tye Zamora of Alien Ant Farm, but that's it. If you want a six string jazz type, The Low End bass shop is the place to be at thelowend.net. Other than that, current Ibanez sixers are very nice, like the SR506 and the SR1006.

Fender doesn't make 'em, but as a Fender guy, I'm after an SR506 in the near future.

3. John Coxtosen

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Yeah, even if Fender made a 6, I wouldn't be interested. I don't even like their 5 strings. I play Mike Lull 5 string p basses. I just wish I could find a 6 string with that type of resonance. I prefer a bass that has the type of tone that you get from a well made traditional combo of alder/ash and bolted maple. Lots of overtones. Know what I mean?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm right there with you! nice stick of maple bolted to a slab of ash and I'm in heaven!

(CUPs DISCLAIMER :: John PMed me about my bass and I replied... I'm webmaster for the guy who built my basses so take my words with that dash of salt.)

Lots of builder can set you up with a maple/alder, bolt necked, 6 with whatever combo of vintagish pickups you need... some will look the part, others not.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do a search. There was a good thread with lots of great suggestion very recently.

6. John Coxtosen

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Thanks! I just emailed some specs over there (Lowend). Anxious to see whats possible. If you wanna see them:

Alder P body with tummy contour if possible. If not, a Jazz body works.
    Fretted Maple neck with rosewood board.
    Is 11/16 spacing at the bridge possible or do you have a set spacing?
    Some kind of humbucker to serve as a p pickup in the p bass spot.
    J pickup at the bridge
    Passive controls. 2 vol 1 tone
    Lighweight aluminum bridge if possible. ( like a hipshot)
    Hipshot Ultralite tuners.
    Don't care about the finish. Opaque. Whatever is cheapest

7. John Pattituci Sig is kinda jazzy:)

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You may want to talk with Carey Nordstrand about pickups. His pickups are made to be vintage sounding.

9. John Coxtosen

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Awesome, Smash. Thank you!

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    This fellow did a couple of basses for me. Great guy, excellent luthier, nice prices for custom work.

I know it says swamp ash, but he will do other things if you ask, as well as other electronics.

http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/jstd.htm

He has several "trim levels" too--classic, custom, etc.