1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where does a vintage groove go from here??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Contrapuntal, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Contrapuntal

Contrapuntal

Mar 1, 2004
    Toronto
    I'm a dedicated but novice Jamerson/Jemmott/Dunn afficiando and am currently holding down the weekly-rehearsal/bi-monthly groove in a 12-piece R&B classic soul review band.

I'm playing a 2000 sunburst American Precision w/TI flats and after-market Fralin pickup through an Ampeg B2R+SABDDI/Ampeg SVT115. A tort pickguard gives me a little vintage look. (But the Am. Sunburst is a little TOO orange.)

I'm in the process of Frankenstein-ing a MIM White alder body with an Allparts vintage toned neck with the Fralin pickups.

But I'm starting too think that maybe I should invest in a higher-end bass.

So my question is (and I'm guessing its been asked just short of 1000 times)...

Is there a bass or bass config that will allow me to get a near-vintage P-Bass/Jamerson thump with a more modern hi-fi sound as well? I do love the vintage look...and I'm not looking to get a $3000 bass or something like Entwhistle's Vulture.

I guess I'm asking. (7 paragraphs later)..does a P/J combo really give a close sound to a straight P-bass sound but with the options of a sharper J sound too>

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Those American P-bass Deluxes have all the P-sound... and you can dial in any modern tone you want. To me, they almost sound like a Warwick with the right adjustments... and it can pull of a sting ray...

if you want it, it can probably do it.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You might consider a Lakland Bob Glaub with the the J pickup added or look into a Lull P or P/J bass. I have played a Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn which is really nice with a great sound. If your bass doesn't have to look vintage, you could check out a G&L L-2000, it really sounds like a P-bass when the neck pickup is soloed. Remember G&L's are literally Leo Fender's last basses, so in a sense, you would be true to the spirit of the Fender bass.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I would also recommend the G&L. Sunburst ones (like mine) look pretty 'vintage' to me, and they are very versatile. Can pull out a lot of sounds from them, including P, J, 'Ray and a bunch of others (or at least close enough in a live situtation).

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    What about the 54 Fender reissues you can get a cool paisley pink P-bass or one covered in blue flowers. I suppose you could go for the more standard 51 in school bus yellow but wheres the fun in that.

I also like the Mike Dirnt P for it vintage looks and tones, all the looks and tone of vintage with all the usability of modern (ie. no crappy 2 saddle bridge)

Hope this helps

P.S. I always found I got a good vintage P-bass tone with the pickup in the middle of my ric major thump, and I suppose ric's have that vintage vibe to them.