Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where does a vintage groove go from here??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Contrapuntal, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Contrapuntal

Contrapuntal

Mar 1, 2004
    Toronto
    I'm a dedicated but novice Jamerson/Jemmott/Dunn afficiando and am currently holding down the weekly-rehearsal/bi-monthly groove in a 12-piece R&B classic soul review band.

I'm playing a 2000 sunburst American Precision w/TI flats and after-market Fralin pickup through an Ampeg B2R+SABDDI/Ampeg SVT115. A tort pickguard gives me a little vintage look. (But the Am. Sunburst is a little TOO orange.)

I'm in the process of Frankenstein-ing a MIM White alder body with an Allparts vintage toned neck with the Fralin pickups.

But I'm starting too think that maybe I should invest in a higher-end bass.

So my question is (and I'm guessing its been asked just short of 1000 times)...

Is there a bass or bass config that will allow me to get a near-vintage P-Bass/Jamerson thump with a more modern hi-fi sound as well? I do love the vintage look...and I'm not looking to get a $3000 bass or something like Entwhistle's Vulture.

I guess I'm asking. (7 paragraphs later)..does a P/J combo really give a close sound to a straight P-bass sound but with the options of a sharper J sound too>

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Those American P-bass Deluxes have all the P-sound... and you can dial in any modern tone you want. To me, they almost sound like a Warwick with the right adjustments... and it can pull of a sting ray...

if you want it, it can probably do it.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You might consider a Lakland Bob Glaub with the the J pickup added or look into a Lull P or P/J bass. I have played a Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn which is really nice with a great sound. If your bass doesn't have to look vintage, you could check out a G&L L-2000, it really sounds like a P-bass when the neck pickup is soloed. Remember G&L's are literally Leo Fender's last basses, so in a sense, you would be true to the spirit of the Fender bass.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I would also recommend the G&L. Sunburst ones (like mine) look pretty 'vintage' to me, and they are very versatile. Can pull out a lot of sounds from them, including P, J, 'Ray and a bunch of others (or at least close enough in a live situtation).

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    What about the 54 Fender reissues you can get a cool paisley pink P-bass or one covered in blue flowers. I suppose you could go for the more standard 51 in school bus yellow but wheres the fun in that.

I also like the Mike Dirnt P for it vintage looks and tones, all the looks and tone of vintage with all the usability of modern (ie. no crappy 2 saddle bridge)

Hope this helps

P.S. I always found I got a good vintage P-bass tone with the pickup in the middle of my ric major thump, and I suppose ric's have that vintage vibe to them.