Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where does everyone practice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew West, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Most of the practice spaces here in town have been shut down to be converted into apartments (curses to urban renewal). My band has been practicing in this place that a guy rents out by the hour. The rates are all right, and he lets you have any time not booked for free, but it's annoying being locked into one specific time frame every week. If someone is sick, then we don't get to practice that week.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate places to find places to practice? I've checked out a lot of the warehouse/commercial listings in the paper, but they all seem to be oriented towards actual warehouse use and rent out by the square foot.

I guess I'll just have to get in the car again and drive around looking for warehouses with for rent signs again.

Sigh...

2. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    We use my garage. I live in BFE, so there's only cows to complain. We use a double barrel wood burner to heat it in the winter. We are truly a garage band!

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I'm really lucky both my bands rehears in my finished basement my wife let me have half of the basement for my musical endeavors.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Matt- What has worked out for us is we have one club we play at a lot. They are open only at night and even then, only Thurs-Sat, which is when I'm gigging someplace anyway. So, we take a little off of what we charge the owners of the club when we play there in return for access to it when just the cleaning crew is there during the day. The floor polisher/vacuum can be annoying, but that's okay because so much of our rehearsal time is spent talking anyway. The place is locked up tight when the place is closed, so we can leave our big pieces of gear there without a worry. There's always somebody responsible there to receive deliveries and take calls. Plus, it's in a historic area of town so the police presence is quite high in the alleys and back streets.

What's really cool is that it affords a place to rehearse with typical club acoustics, no freaky AC/wiring (like warehouses, halls, etc), and access to the soda guns, ice machines and microwave in the dressing room.

All we had to show the owners is that we're trustworthy and all the owners had to do is show us that the place is secure.

The most "creative" place I ever rehearsed in on a steady basis was when a former manager hooked the band up with a the service bays of a Cadillac dealership. It was closed in the evenings and on Sunday. The acoustics were similar to a bad room but it was secure and the power supply was quality. Plus, this was a flagship dealership, so the bays were kept immaculately. The downsides were we couldn't leave our gear there overnight and having to look at pastel colored Cadillacs all through rehearsal, (oh well, could have been a Yugo dealership).

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I have a similar problem, since I live in the Bay Area and there is NO space around here. We practice at a movie theater. Our drummer was the manager at this single-screen movie theater for years, so he's in great with the owner. To make sure we've had ample time to setup, rehearse, and take down before the first movie starts, we practice Saturday mornings at 8:30am. And it's a 45 minute drive from my house (in the Bay Area a 45-minute drive is equivilant to 2 miles :)). So every Saturday I wake up at 7:00am to rehearse. It certainly takes dedication. But then, if someone is sick or can't make it, no rehearsal.

I've checked into storage facilities, and some will let you rehearse as a band. The only problem there are the limited hours. Possibly you can find someone's house, or a friend's house. It all depends on the neighbors. I've definitely had to do this in the past. The rule of the thumb is courtesy. Don't rehearse louder than you need to, and keep it at decent hours. For us, that meant 6pm - 9:30pm. Or if on the weekend, 11am - 3pm. San Francisco is experiencing the same problem with rehearsal space. Our largest rehearsal space closed several months back. It's sad with the community doesn't better cater to it's local talent in the arts.

6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    The university has a studio and we have a few hours every week when we can go there...it's great,with a 300W Ampeg and good guitar amps too,just what we needed,and free:)

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The drummers old lady insisted that we practice at their house(we used to practice at my house before they hooked up).Im sure someday she'll hold that over his head when she really wants something.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When I was a teenager we practiced in our drummers garage at too high of a volume.

Hearing loss... ::sighs::

With the oldies band, we rehearse at the singers house or at low priced gigs.:)

With the metal band, our guitarist built a portable in back of his house for us.

With the praise and worship band, at the church.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm sorta stuck. I used to paractice at a local church, who's pastors are pretty liberal. Then another band screwed around with some stuff, so everyone had to stop practicing there. I was part of everyone. Then we started practicing in the bottom floor/basment thingie of a Bar. My former guitarist was in good with the people there, so we got to freeze our butts off and practice at the same time. Now...well, the old bandski went under revisement, AKA a lineup change that was for the better. Now We are going to be practicing at either our drummers house, or, in my room. Which, incidentally, is pretty big. If only I could convince my mom that the sound wouldn't tear the windows out:)

10. we practice at a mini-storage place. We can only play from 5pm to 6am, though...and it's not heated. But it's cheap. :)

11. My band rehearses at this place where a guy built like "bomb shelters" out the back. typical of metal bands. crap everywhere, bottles and alcohol etc.

It costs us 5 bucks each (so $20 total) for as long as we want. Comes with PA too. Its pretty packed, but when u become regulars like we are, those times are usually left free. So we have 4 hr rehearsals, sometimes 6, for only 20 bucks. Plus its in a semi industrial area so the noise regulations are none.

Its another good thing, cause a lot of top adelaide bands rehearse there (3 rooms in total), and because we're starting out, ppl hear us and come check us out. Got offers for gigs too!

Merls

12. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Fortunately, our drummer's father owns some flats, one of which we use for free. The room we play in is tiny, barely big enough to fit the five of us in, and it can get very LOUD in there, but it's good for nothing. Suprisingly, we've never really had many complaints, considering that there are people living in the flats above us, there's a chippy next door, and a retirement home behind the flats. Maybe we're not as loud as we think...

Before that, we used to play in another flat owned by my uncle. That was a great little practise room, especially since no-one lived anywhere near it.(It was above a furniture shop.) The nearest thing we had to a neighbour was one of my uncle's friends, who knocked around one night to see if he was in, and ended up lending us his drum kit and P-Bass, which, at the time, made me pretty happy.

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    The weirdest place we had practice was at an unused railway station in Southempton, England. We were renting the ENTIRE railway station for 20 pounds a month. The place was over 1 square mile, with lots of buildings, woodsheds etc. After that, we were renting a hut from boy scouts.

Now I have a nice basement that is setup like a club, so all our instruments are there and we can practice any time we feel like.

14. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    in my living room when it's just me jamming. In my guiatrist's practice room when it's a full band thing.

15. in my old band my singers fateher was a care taker of a summer camp so we were aloud to practice there when ever we wanted except during the summer but i am now in another band!! we practice at my drummer house whos dad plays bass also and has a band so he built a studio!! but i also live in pa which is starting to get rather crowded from people moving here from ny and nj so i am just waiting for the cops to come one day from some old lady complaing but oh well she well have to deal with this extremely loud hardcore band!!

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im lucky, my drummer is my closest and longest running friend, we reherse in finished sound proofed room at his house. When Im at home learning my lines I sit infront of the computer in a spare bed that has been sound proofed.

17. BLNDPNGWN

BLNDPNGWN

Nov 28, 2000
    In the Garage, or we cruise around town to a music store, wave some money in the clerks face and try out the latest equipment! They get so pissed when you never buy anything (I wish I had more money)

18. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    We practice in my drummers basement, we will soon be moving out into the garage so we can play louder.

CROZ, do these Mini Storage places have power? or do you have to run a bunch of cables? Theirs one out in the boonies and i was thinking about practicing there...

19. When I practice by myself, I practice in my livingroom. When I practice with my band, I either practice in my drummer's basement or my rhthm guitarist's basement.

20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    My apartment consists of one room only. I don't have that much of a choice.

Oh, you mean rehearse? On top of an old factory. Some very strange RF interference going on up there...