1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where does one start with Pino?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Quatzu, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Quatzu

Quatzu

Jul 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Guys:

I keep hearing about Pino Palladino. Scott Devine is a huge fan, and I'm sure anything good for Scott Devine is good for me.

So Pino fans, where in his catalog should I start? What's his best work? Will this force me to listen to John Mayer?

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Paul Young's No Parlez, Go West's first album, Pete Townshend's White City: A Novel, Seal's first album... all good places to start.

3. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Not sure which is worse, Seal, Mayer, or pick any other album he played on.

4. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Pino's played with a really diverse set of artists. He first came to light playing with Paul Young, and there are 2 or 3 signature tunes with him that were landmark recordings for Pino. And it was his lyrical fretless playing on those songs that got him some major recognition in the mid to late 80's that led to session work with artists like Don Henley, Eric Clapton, Elton John and Pete Townsend. Personally, I really like Pino's playing on the Townsend record Psychoderelict (without the spoken word elements). I think that's very much an under-appreciated album.

The second phase in Pino's career seems to have started with his work for D'Angelo. Notably on the album Voodoo. But in that case Pino ditched the Stingray fretless and was playing a Fender Precision with flats in a radically different style. He was very much behind the beat, and really grooving. And that's really what we've come to hear Pino do over the last decade. IIRC, Pino was working on another D'Angelo record more recently that was intended to be a followup to Voodoo.

The John Mayer Trio record is very notable, since both Pino and Steve Jordan really got some serious recognition for that. And he's also been working with a group called PSP more recently, which is a little more experimental. There's also a recent project with Steve Gadd, Edie Brickell, Andy Fairweather-Low & Pino called the Gaddabouts. And of course, Pino is playing bass with The Who now, as well.

Most of the projects that Pino has played on are worth checking out. But mostly to hear what Pino is doing, in many cases. But his discography is pretty extensive.

5. +1.

Melodic: Paul Young - Wherever I Lay My Hat, Everytime you go away

Groovin': D'Angelo - Chicken Grease
    John Mayer - Who Did You Think I Was (live DVD)

6. sludgelord3000

sludgelord3000 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    The new Jose James record (No Beginning No End) has some sweet stanky groove type playing in a similar vibe as Voodoo.

7. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Massachusetts
    +1 on Jose James. Chris Dave, Pino, Robert Glasper? Always brings the groove HARD.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don Henley, Sunset Grill and Boys Of Summer. Not a big fan of Henley's but those basslines are absolutely brilliant.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...is it Larry Klein or Pino on "New York Minute"? If Pino, add that one.

10. Quatzu

Quatzu

Jul 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'll start with Voodoo.

11. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    Just search him on YouTube also. there are a lot of great performances on there that aren't on any disc especially a few with Meshell NdegeOcello.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pino.

13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
  14. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Check out D'Angelo's version of Chicken Grease. There is a live version from the Chris Rock show on youtube. This is a real funky version. The P-Bass and ampeg are doing it.

15. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    Jimmy for the win!

16. Rebopmass

Rebopmass Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Tear your playhouse down- paul young. Give blood -pete townsend.

And if im not mistaken. Boy in the box cory hart.

17. Rebopmass

Dec 21, 2011
    Oops no he didnt play on boy in the box

18. Rebopmass

Dec 21, 2011
    He also playd on Go West 2 albums. David Gilmours About Face album which is very underrated. Tears for fears sowing the seeds of love and if im not mistaken Chris Deburgh.

Didnt know he played with Seal I always assumed Trevor Horn played the bass lines. I know horn did all of FrankieGoes To Hollywood s bass lines in studio

19. Quatzu

Quatzu

Jul 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Badass. Thank you.

20. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Oleta Adams, "Be There"