Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where does poetry go?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stephen S, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Now I have been getting quite a bit of complaments on my poetry and I'm just wondering where poetry can really take someone. For instance, the top of the musical world is rockstardom. What would be the poets equivalent? I'd be glad to post some of my poetry if anyone is interested.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, general appreciation from a large group of people is often wrought from the better poets. I saw Maya angelou do a reading, the ticket cost me $20, the place was packed, it was a huge theater, and she was 'touring' all over doing shows like this.

The problem with poetry, in my eyes, is too few (so-called)"poets" concentrate on poetic devices and meaning, and rather just try and spout their feelings or their agenda.

So, the market is saturated with lousy "poetry" that creates a bad image for any would-be professional poets.

I am very critical when it comes to poetry because it is so hard to find good poetry these days, sure there are always the classics, and there are many modern poets that are great, but the amount of crud I have to sift through to find it, is well...dense.

oh yeah, and as for a title, poet laureate is the name given to those poets that have supeceded the BS and made an impact with their poetry.

Only if your goal with music is to make money. Rock stardom is one thing, but it is certainly not what everyone that makes music wants.

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I assumed that would be taken the wrong way, but I didn't know any other way to explain it.

4. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I used to get published a bit, but now I think it's all pretty silly stuff. You could write the greatest poem imaginable, and nobody would really care. The "poetry world" is pretty much a cult of personality, playing more on the poet's views and agendas then the actual poetry itself.

Lots of sucky poets get heaps of praise because they're a black-communist-homosexual fighting against the Old White Man's Realm of Snobby Poetry. And that's cool, I don't have a problem with that. But the art suffers because of it.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Don't worry, I know what you were trying to say, I just wanted to make that point.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I hate poetry... well, not hate... don't really understand what people see in it.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    well, you are entitled to your opinion, but There is so much in good poetry. A good poet, in my eyes, could not only challenge your thinking mind, but present you with a thoughtful interpretation of every-day life.

A good poet could also insult you and make you think that you were just complimented.

too me, good poetry is the culmination of an understanding of language and wit, while still retaining a good sensibility.

But, there is no generalization to be made about what good poetry is, some would argue that it is something that speaks the poets feelings, while others could argue equally that it is something that is clever, while others could say that good poetry has to follow certain rules.

but, while it is very subjective on some levels, there are certainly lines that must be made dividing the bad from the good and the good from the great, any trite dribble could be considered poetry, and anyone could back that claim till the end of the earth, but there are always bound to be these small case exceptions and people that just want to be difficult .

but oh well, such is the way of things.

8. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I have decided to post this poem, it is one of my favorites, I wrote it earlier today.
    2 Pound Bag
    quack quack said the killer duck
    that chopped the heads off
    of all the business men in purple suits
    smoking cigars filled with cuba and
    chatting about feathers flufffed to the size of april

splash splash says the blood as it stains the concrete
    which has been poured by silver rain drops
    brought ashore, from exotic islands, by word of mouth
    traveling south on a train from manhatten

choo choo says the gossiping train
    as it widely plants its lies
    in the heads of the american people
    gobbling up all that is corperate
    in a vain attempt to keep sane

rip rip is the sound of employee number 176
    yanking out his hair for kicks
    after stress has kicked him off the edge
    and flipping the bird just doesnt quite do it anymore

cah cah is the sound of the free bird laughing at humans
    trying to fit in and locate themselves, deeply buried in nature
    naturally hiding themselves from what they fear which is nothing
    more then thee unknown and unexplainable

ha ha is the laugh of the uniquely similar masses
    mocking all that is trendy who fail to realize
    that in their attempt to break away from the common they have
    snuggled in a cubby to the left of all that is cliche and quotable

chop chop is the butcher chopping
    grade A meat to bite size portions
    conviently availible in one or two pound bags
    at you local grocery store

chomp chomp is the sound of business men in purple suits
    trading life for material possesions on wall street
    in the middle of the afternoon smoking cigars filled with cuba
    chatting about feathers fluffed to the size of april
    avoiding puddles of blood on the concrete sent by word of mouth
    on a train leaving manhatten planting its lies in the head of american people
    and feeding them all that is corperate sucessfully keeping them chained to their so called sanity
    while employee number 176 trades homelife and happiness for a measley pay check
    spent on nothing but a governmental place to call his own which he will never actually own
    while steadily fueling the economy and influencing the anti-trendyness
    trend of the uniquely similar masses mocking all that is trendy while spouting out quotes
    from the latest and greatest teeny bopper movie while chomping on conviently bite sized bits
    of grade A meat availible in one or two pound bags of wasted life.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    that reads like something you might hear at a poetry slam.

I don't dislike it, but it's not my style.

10. Good job on writing it...but it sounds like something you'd hear in a poetry reading or coffee house in a movie :/

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have to agree with WR and Baroque, there is a TON of crappy poetry out there. I don't consider myself to be the greatest poet or anything but I go to poetry.com and I can't believe some of the stuff that actually wins those awards. (don't get me wrong, a lot of it's good, but there are some real cliche ridden ones there) Whenever someone tells me they are published, it really has no impact on me. It's not because of sour grapes, it's because just about any goober who can string 3 words together can get published.

Anyways, while we are posting our work, I guess I'll stick one up. :D I wrote this about 4 years ago, so I think I have matured in my writing. It's a little bit cliche in a few parts, but I like it.

Pyre of Reasoning

Whisps of flowing sorrow embellish the cyrstalized nirvana
    As sable fluid night cascades from a poetic despair
    Bringing an opiate of flagelent nothingness
    To an essence of desolate elegance that we share

Rain falls in raven thought
    Lost to a hushed innocence of time
    Upon ethereal seers' immaculate reflections
    Of the fold, within intricate beauty does shine

I was really into using "big words" back then. I still enjoy cool sounding words because they are part of the "pop" aspect of whatever I write, but now I'm doing more with actual phrase play, form, meter, concepts, ect and to me, that makes things all the more eloquent.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Another thing that I love in poems is rhyme(or rime as some old books call it)

When a skilled poet can not only take a subject and glorify it with mastery of language, but also do it within the constraints of rhyme and meter, that is true bliss to read.

13. Great poets tend to be remembered for hundreds upon hundreds of years, and much more importantly have their work critised, meditated upon and generally appreciated to bits by an incredible timelike swathe of cultured people.

That isn't going to happen to me. The evidence: I'm responsible for this.

That jewel that low across the street
    Burns cold and clear,
    and now distant and now near

Is leaves of uncut grass that gather mist.
    Shall I, tempted, wander out
    To gather dew in a cool and clusmy fist?

Argument and my bare feet counsel not
    But reason and happy comfort
    Are not the sole partitions of our lot.

So caring not neither wondering why
    I pace out to meet my low jewel
    on cold feet under the wet sky.

For many moments dry reason's death
    Does not disturb or clutch
    The rythm of my body's cloudy breath.

In undespairing patience there may be
    Truth, and in sudden insight too;
    But as some thoughts carry, so some anchor me.

I turn about, and towards the homeward sight
    Comfort seeking, I am wanting not
    To feel the chill of this now aging night.

The word which springs to mind when I think of this one is... derivative. :meh: :)

Man, I'd love to be able to write something worth reading.

14. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    into my pants.

AzURe
    When i was naive i believed in true love,
    A partnership decided by the angels above,
    Now i know no ones dumb enough to waste time on me,
    Dying unhappy and alone is my destiny.

;) :D

15. I write poetry, but it's all derivative/tired cliches.

I'm not gonna bother posting any :oops:

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I will post a poem I wrote almost 2 years ago that I was pleased with at the time, and reading it now, am still pleased with.

To the Leaf Stood the tree

The Poem is words,
    Fundamentals, Views.
    Poems can convey, or just confuse.
    Hidden meanings,
    Secret Agendas,
    Blatant Statements,
    Mentally Raping.

The Masters of this
    Intriguing Craft, Were
    Either brilliant or Stark
    Daft.

You can Learn so much
    from so few words, Phrases,
    Stanzas, nouns, and verbs.

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree 100%. I use to write a lot of free/blank verse, but then started to find that I was starting to get stagnant and repeating myself. So to "challenge" myself, I started to look into more complex forms of verse. Sometimes though, you shouldn't try to hard to force form though. The last poem I wrote, I intended to be a sonnet, but it really didn't workout with the iambic pentameter, but I liked how it was, so I just didn't bother writing the last two lines, and left it as a 12 line poem. (for someone who's talking about poetry, that's a pretty long run-on sentence :D ) I'm still trying to grasps the concept of feet though.

WR, I know you're a big hip-hop fan. I was wondering, have you ever watched Def Poetry on HBO? (Not sure if it's still on, I use to watch it at a friends house) It's hosted by Russell Simons. Lots of excellent poets/rappers on there. I remember this one gentleman (forget his name) did a poem dedicated to Jimi Hendrix. It's was brillant.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I haven't had HBO in about 6 years :p

I may have caught that show once, but I don't recall.

19. What about hippy poetry?!

"The night... THE NIGHT!!!
    is dark... dark as dark...
    The cat.. the cat sleeps
    At night.. the dark night"

Deep man... deep. :p

Anywho i love poetry. And yes there is a load of tripe out there.

:D:D

Merls

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Actually, Merlin, the proper term for that is "Beat Poetry". ;)

Bass Boy, you could very well be right. Like I said, I haven't seen it in a while. Back when I watched it, Russell Simmons was the host.