1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where does Squier save money?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by !Rob!, Aug 27, 2007.

1. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    Just curious, I have checked out quite a few Squiers (very popular with new students/parents) and I find most of them very good. (especially the vintage modified line)

Where do they save money, so that they can sell for $189cdn, compared to $500+ Fenders. In some of the transparent models you can see the wood joints, but how would you notice that on a solid color. I would assume the necks are comparable to Fender models, and the hardware looks pretty much the same.

That leaves pups and controls/wiring...now some Squires come with Duncans which I have found to be very good, although they could be replaced with actual Fender pups for $70+ (P), slightly more for the (J) style.

So back to my original question...Where does Squier save money.

Just curious, I have encountered awesome Squiers, and crappy Fenders (and vice versa).

2. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Sweat camps maybe?

3. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    hehehe, cool, if that's all it is, then grab me my whip, and I'll try to save everybody another $10 :D

4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Labor. They're probably made by 10-year-olds chained to a bench somewhere in the Far East. :meh:

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The real question would be, how come Fender can sell their crap for so much money ?

6. On the lower end squiers (affinity series) I`m pretty sure they use cheaper electronics and take less care with the wiring...also the tuners are poor quality...at least this is the case with my jazz....
    Oh yeah and I`m sure they`ve got some seriously cheap labour

7. probably the quality of the woods, also the pups and bridge.

8. hey now, play nice....there are many beautiful sounding/playing Fenders out there...and the price is pretty reasonable considering the price you pay for similar quality basses that go for $500+ more.

9. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    big routes. and... bigger routes. lol.

10. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007

Still those are fairly cheap components and most Fender owners I know upgrade pups and bridge anyways (keeping the old ones).

The standard Fender bridges have never really impressed me, and if you're gonna throw Barts or Fralins in anyways, what does it matter what comes out?

What would be the difference in the woods? (type or quality?)

11. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Banned

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    I think you're closer to the real answer, that they simply don't add the markup of the Fender name. It doesn't cast $900 more dollars to make a MIA. But the market will pay $900 more for a MIA. Squier is there for those that can't see the difference the price makes.

12. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007

I totally agree here, however my buddy just got the fretless jaco style Squier, and I have to admit is is very impressive. Not quite a good comparison to my Dean Edge5, but still a great looking/sounding instrument...(although this one has a very noticable wood joint just above the pups, but he doesn't care so why should I, and like I said, if it was a solid color, who would ever know.

13. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Banned

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    I would bet the difference in Fenders cost for the wood of any bass (without fancy stuff like flames and exotics) is less than $5.

14. Buck62

Buck62

Aug 22, 2007
    That's the popular opinion from most of the free world, but it's actually not very accurate. My wife is Vietnamese, she was born there. Vietnam has many similarities to China... a Communist controlled country with a disproportionate amount of poor, lower class citizens. But the economies of China, Vietnam and Korea have been thriving, especially in the last decade or two. China and Vietnam have become more and more Capitalist and Vietnam even started their own stock exchange just over 5 years ago!

Making products means jobs, lots of jobs. Sure, they don't pay well by our standards. But you guys have no idea how cheap it is to live in a place like Vietnam. You could buy a 7-course dinner for 4 people for about than $2.00 US. You could build a huge brand new home with 4 bedrooms, 3 baths and a massive kitchen and still not break $10,000 in American money.

Yes, they seem underpaid by our standards, but by Asian standards the lower classes have been skyrocketing into the middle and upper middle classes, especially in the past decade. Entrepenuers have been starting businesses with almost nothing and built them into a small empire.

So, don't feel guilty buying a Squire, or Epiphone, or any other Asian guitar. Within 20 years corporations will be looking to make a move to someplace even less developed for cheaper labor costs. I'm thinking that Africa and some of the more remote parts of South America will be the next places corporations will be moving to in the next 20 to 30 years. The world is shrinking before our vary eyes. So don't feel bad for the poor Asians.

15. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Everywhere.

16. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I've wondered that myself.

Do they use locally-sourced wood for the bodies?
    Does Fender ship finished necks to Indonesia or so they ship maple blocks that are then crafted into necks by local workers?
    The labor difference is huge, even if not under sweatshop conditions. My only frame of reference is a mission trip I took to Ghana in 2000 - the going rate for skilled carpenters and masons was about $.50/hr plus lunch.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A good Squier or MIM Fender is the equal of many US-made basses. A bad one isn't. The questions about where the differences occur have been circulating for decades - and Fender isn't telling.

And it's NOT "Squire". It's "Squier".

18. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    I have to agree, when I run the ($) numbers, it doesn't make a lot of sense other than the "name on the headstock"

Bass: Squier VM-P $189

Pups: Fender 62 reissue $60

Tuners: $60

Pots/wiring: $20

Bridge: $30

Total: $359 +

"Same or Better" than some pricey Fenders : very possible

I would assume the nut, frets, pickguard, screws, neckplate, strap buttons, knobs are not really an issue.

19. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007

Correction ackowledged, thank you.

20. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    Maybe they skimp on quality control? People complain of the variation...