Where does the compressor go?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've been wondering if I should go, bass - Compressor - Amp, or put the compressor in the effects loop.
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I put my compressor before the amp.
  3. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Me too
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Stompbox: Before the amp

Rackmount: FX loop or between preamp and poweramp
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm running mine between pre and poweramp.
  6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

There are many possibilities all dependent upon what you are trying to achieve, what kind of compressor you use and your playing style.
    I should point out that using a compressor in an amp's fx loop, you should be aware of whether the loop is serial or parallel. This will greatly effect the usefulness of the compression.
    Compressors tend to like a full signal, and using in an aux loop will give you only a partial mix (wet/dry).

Most players DO like to put a compressor first in the signal chain, this is eespecially true if you are using a pedal-type compressor (Trace Elliot; EBS etc.), but many studio cats use a compressor for more soft-limiting and place it at the end of the chain.

I use a compressor very sparingly, most to level out the signal of my loop-intensive solo work. A such, I put it at the very end of my signal chain.

You should also be aware of whether it is going pre or post EQ. Pre EQ is most widely used for leveling out the signal and controlling one's dynamics, esp. when slapping (but to be honest, you should have you dynamics under control and not be reliant on a piece of gear to hide a deficiency in your technique). Also placing EQ post compressor adds peaks and dips at certain frequencies which defeats the purpose of compressing. Tjo using a stomp box comp in this order can emphasize certain frequencies, and add sustain, which may be appropriate for a given situation (such as a solo, or particularly grinding section of a tune).

Putting EQ before the compresor allows the Eq to even out the frequencies and thus letting the compressor do its job more efficiently.

Of course, you should experiment and find what wqorks best for you and your style...but generally speaking, you will get better results placing your compressor post EQ.

7. bass -> compressor channel 1 ( light compression ) -> preamp -> compressor channel 2 ( FX-loop, more compression ) -> poweramp
  8. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Do you mind me asking what compressor you're using and what settings you employ at each stage? Since my unit has 2 channels (Alesis 3630) I might like to try this arrangement. Also what sort of tone does this give?
  9. Hey Allodox - I also have a Behringer Autocom Pro compressor, and was curious about trying a setup like you have described - I was worried about damage to the unit if the stereo button was pressed while it was wired for mono serial mode. Any problems or things to watch for?

10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    Allocompression, mebbe?
  11. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    I used to run my compressor ( DBX 266) ahead of my amp. I tried the suggestion of putting it in my effects loop and the change for the better was phenomenal.
    My question is this, where is the effects loop on an SVT 3 pro? Pre or post eq?