1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where does the compressor go?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Travisx2112, May 5, 2010.

1. I know, I know, "search" but I couldnt find what I was looking for.

This is what my signal chain looks like.

Sansamp RBI > EQ > Bass Big Muff > BOSS ODB-3 > Digitech Whammy > Bass

I bought a compressor, and I have NO idea where it goes, and I've been trying to figure it out for an hour. Where do I put it?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Check out the FAQ linked in my sig. :)

3. FenderAmpeg

FenderAmpeg

Feb 21, 2009
    So Cal
    +1 thank you for reminding me what a great resource that link is!!

4. I like the end, so all the effects that are touch sensitive get used to their fullest extent.

5. I put it like this, and it seems to work

Compressor > RBI > EQ > Biug Muff > BOSS ODB-3 > Digitech Whammy > bass

6. It'll work no matter what, but you're going to loose out on the RBI's ability to go from light dirt to crunchy by attacking harder. A lot of people like it at the start though.

7. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    compressor should go at the beginning of the effects chain

bass>compressor>restoftheeffects>amp

8. mgauge

mgauge

Dec 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    +1 roger that

9. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    +2. I will have to agree with this.

10. It sort of depends on what you are trying to do with the compressor. If you are trying to add punch to your tone, then I think it will work best before anything else. If you are trying to control your overall dynamic levels, then later in the chain is better.

I have two boards; one for my heavy rock band and one for acoustic worship music at church. The band board has the compressor first in line, because it adds some depth and punch to my distortions and helps my analog octaver track better. With my church board, the compressor goes after a digital octave and a chorus pedal, but before an MXR M-80 preamp/DI. That way, I can send a more consistant signal to the FOH board.

11. tjmdetroit

tjmdetroit

Jan 27, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I just bought a compressor so you know where my head is at...wo...So for me this is nice stuff Bongo, thanks for the info....you know, at least I FEEL smarter now!!!.....;)....time will tell...thx again.

12. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

Don't know if it's the proper way to do it, but I've placed my compressor in a Noise Suppressor loop, with a BBM. I use the CS-3 mainly for its sustain. My amp head (Hartke 5500) has a one-knob compressor that is quite effective at managing peaks. My rig is surprisingly quiet, even without quality cables (my next purchase). Does the job for me, anyway.

My chain goes:
    BASS > Tuner > LS-2 (bunch of filters looped in) > NS-2 (CS-3and BBM looped) > SansAmp PBDDI > CEB-3 > LS-2 (with flanger, octaver, phaser and delay looped) > BBE Sonic Stomp > AMP.

13. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Well if you are using some sort of envelope filter it will pretty much not work well if put before that device.. Well teh Comp will work well but the Envelpoe filter will be missing the dynamic range it need s to do its thing.