Where does the "hot" wire go?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mirthoneist, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Mirthoneist

Mirthoneist

Jul 28, 2006
    I'm a bass newb but I have a Ibanez SR530 and it came with MK1 pickups and pre, which didn't sound too great. So, last year I bought a Bartolini NTMB (5.2 A/P) Pre and installed it to the MK1 pups, but today I finally got some Bartolini MK4 pickups. I just don't really know how to wire them, in particular the "hot" wire.

If it helps, here is the wiring diagram for the Preamp that I used a year ago:
    http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3592/ntmb52.jpg

And here is the diagram I am trying to use to install the pups:
    http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9090/pickupsx.jpg

I have the other wires connected fine, I think, but in the diagram it doesn't really show where the "hot" wire leads to. That's the part I'm lost at, so I have them unhooked. I did plug in the bass to see how it sounds, and it sounds excellent minus a LOT of buzz, so maybe I need those hot wires soldered to something?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. Definitely

Definitely Inactive

I'm no expert on preamps, but usually hot gets wired to the volume pot IIRC

3. The diagram you posted shows the 'Hot' wire as being one of the pickup leads. So this is confusing. You should have no sound with that disconnected.

4. Mirthoneist

Mirthoneist

Jul 28, 2006
    I'm not sure how accurate the diagram is; it IS Bartonlini's and the one that came with my pickups, but both of the pickups (neck and bridge) have it wired like the bridge pickup in that diagram, as in Red & White are soldered together already, Green and Shield are soldered together already, and black is by itself as the "hot".

If that is correct, there is a wire that goes from Blend pot to Volume pot, so maybe I can try hooking those "hot" wires to the blend pot area that is going to the volume pot.

Edit: I found their PDF online and it looks like I was doing the wrong wiring diagram. This one looks more like what I should be doing. If so, that makes sense to me. :)

[​IMG]

5. Mirthoneist

Mirthoneist

Jul 28, 2006
    I'm still getting a lot of buzz... Everything seems to be wired correctly though.

6. the mojo hobo

the mojo hobo

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    The hot wires should go to the middle lugs on the blend pot, where the pickups were originally attached.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021