Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where have all the F Bass Studios gone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I know that George has discontinued offering the Studio models but I'd be willing to bet that he did build quite a few when it was a part of his regular lineup.

There always seems to be a few used BN5's floating around but never any Studio models. I'm going to assume that those that have them aren't giving them up. Brad Johnson swears by his Studio and isn't giving that bass up for nothin', right Brad? :)

Who else around here has an F Studio? I'd love to put a Studio up against my dearly beloved BN5.

2. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues.

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    I have both a BN5 and Studio. The Studio's are not easy to find, at least not as many being traded as the BN5.
    I am in the market for another BN5, but I can not find any with Ebony fingerboards, so if you know anyone who wants to trade a BN5 with Ebony board for a really sweet Studio :^)

3. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This is probably a stupid question but do you find that the tone of the Studio is different enough to justify buying one if you have a BN5 that you love?

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    George will still build one if ordered. I was interested in one a couple years ago. They are relatively hard to find on the used market.

5. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues.

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    Well, either bass is extremely versatile tone wise.
    the tone of my Studio can seem a bit "darker" than my BN5, and the Studio can have a more ballsey low end, if that is possible!

The main difference for me is in the feel and balance. The Studio has a bit different feel to it because of the difference in fingerboards and fret count. So it balances on a strap or on your knee it sits a bit more "traditionally".

I really like having both as I prefer the Studio for finger style and old school funk, where as the BN5 I prefer as a more modern, all around axe.

I am always pleased with either bass when I bring only one to the gig, so it is pretty hard to complain either way. I play my BN5 more, but that is mainly because the BN5 is an old war horse and my Studio is so pretty I worry about dinging her up on the gig.

6. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I've got a really crazy studio BN6 for sale right now. I also have a regular BN6 and the two are quite different. Here's an earlier thread on it: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113067

A quick comparison between the two:
    [​IMG]

and
    [​IMG]

The two are very, very different; both in feel and sound. The studio is much fatter and has more low 'thud' to it, much like a P bass. The regular one is much more the jazz sound.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Eric, thats a GREAt pic of the Studio !

8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The reasons sound pretty compelling. ;)

Thanks for the replies, guys.

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Wyliee, your Studio 6 looks incredible. I'm sure that the photo doesn't even begin to do it justice. I just can't justify another 6 as I'm mostly a 4 and 5 string player. I do have a 6 string bass that I play weekly for my own enjoyment but have never planned to use out in public.

I wish that I lived close to someone that has a Studio 5 just to compare it to my BN5. I bought the BN5 based on the reviews from the folks here on TB.com and the old BunnyBass site. I was more than thrilled and still love that bass very much.

10. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    I have Fbass Studio 5, great bass with prefect tone. I have it up for sale here on TB. The only reason is due to medical condition.
    [​IMG]