Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing. (TalkBass related)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    FYI, I took the thread title from a Pete Seeger song you can see the lyrics here.

At any rate, there's been some talk in the lounge that I think should be accessible to everyone. It pertains to the level of the threads as of late.

When TalkBass started out, our membership was comprised of a small number of individuals who were focused on discussing bass. Many experienced players discussed topics that were of interest to everyone and provided an entertaining learning experience.

Fast forward three years. TB membership is vastly increased and the forums are riddled with threads that have little if anything to do with bass playing or music. Also, the level of maturity of discussions in general seems to have sharply declined.

Now, change is inevitable and change is good and all, but in the eyes of some members, the result of this change is that some of the longtime (and most productive) TBers are leaving and with them, the very thing that made TB so special in the first place.

More than a few members are noticing this and adding that the mere mention of the fact in general access threads makes them much maligned, which is why I decided to bring it up.

I, for one, am very happy that TB forums have become so popular. A price was paid, however. It's a paradox that the increased number of people has made TB more impersonal. When I joined, everybody knew everybody else and it was easy to tell when a new member joined. Now, there are so many members no one can keep track of who's new and what they're all about. I think that's part of the evolution of TB and can't be avoided, but I also see their point of view and agree that it's a bit sad to see us losing that loving feeling.

Thoughts?

JT, Jazzbo and Odie: If this gets out of hand, please move it to Miscellaneous.

2. Well; I know for a fact that I have not helped make TB any smarter, more on topic, ect. But my maturity has been on the incline as of lately.

I just hope that I can make my posts more helpful to others, but once in a while we all deserve a freebie.

*sucks on an expensive coffee and listening to King Crimson*

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think too many people taking too many freebies is part of the problem.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    days of yore weren't always so great...
    one of my first posts on the new forum software was bemoaning the 13 year olds back in march of 2000, some of whom are still with us.

so there's kids who participate, big deal. so they act like kids. yep, that's to be expected. last time i checked threads were not mandatory.

5. Which I remember. :D

I remember the old days of the board. Those were good times, but they didn't have any of the stuff we had now. I remember when it was a big thing to have the Mike Wat t forum come in! And as for the young bassist trolls/new members that come in. It's not all of our faults. Don't blame us for one asinine (Bruce Bruce Bruce! :D) thing another younger member does...

6. And are still 13!

:D

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, if not younger :D

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm sure I've helped lower the collective mental maturity of the board numerous times...

...oops, I did it again!

:eek:

;)

On topic, I still think there is a "core" group of regular, actually HELPFUL folks here. I consider these people to be a part of my extended family. I won't name names, I think they know who they are, and vice versa.

I for one am glad to be a part of this place, and wish I could contribute more than I'm capable of lately. Yes, there are some posters that are just goofy, but most of them either eventually come around to being decent or run away to an unmoderated location elsewhere, so the overall average here is greatly in favor of good folks, in my experience.

9. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    IMO, limiting or taking down the Off Topic forum would weed out about 90% of the garbage and freebies on TalkBass.

If Off Topic stays, a post limiter for non-supporting members would also cut down on a lot of the useless posts. Say, 2 or 3 posts a day. Then people would have more incentive to register or to post something meaningful instead of a freebie.

I also propose a humongous, neon-pink gif that flashes "USE THE SEARCH BUTTON" be installed at the top of every page.;)

On a more serious note, a collection of newbie posts could be assembled and put on the main page with a link reading "Newbies go here first" or something to that effect. It could cover starter basses, bass packs, easy songs for beginners to learn , and so on.

If Paul were in favor of using harsher methods, he could make talkbass a pay-only site. Say, give out a trial for a month and then if you want to go here any more, you have to pay?*

Finally, in my humble opinion, the tablature forum doesn't even need to be here. This is a bass forum, not a tab forum. There are already plenty of tab sites like tabcrawler or mxtabs that have got forums people can go to without having to come here.

*This should NOT be applied to college students.:D

10. I agree on this. So far in the past like week or so I've seen 3 people ("newbies") asking about a starter bass. I believe rabid_granny has a "Newbie Links" page in the basses forum...maybe put one in each forum giving links to info about starter basses/amps/songs to learn and stuff like that. Just my .02. Also, the thing about the gif for the search function is a great idea :) I say go w/ it. ~ Tyler

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

What can one say! This is a Great Forum! I became a Supporting Member just because of my enjoyment/consumption of OT.

If TBAss had an restrictive entry format however, I may have not explored it became a Supporting Member and just went onto some other place on the net.

I like the "come on in" atmosphere of TalkBass.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I can't believe this has come up again. These types of threads are far more divisive and lame than some thirteen yr. old asking about boobs in OT. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: This topic is so very tired. Change is inevitable, be the water, blessed are the cheese makers, European swallows fly in kilometers not miles, blah x 3.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what he said.

14. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I take it then that this is a common occurrence in the Lounge? I don't remember seeing a thread like this here, ever:confused:

15. perhaps because off topic rules clearly state nothing music related? i just dont see any reason in bringing this point up because off topic is specifically for non music stuff, and i for one think it helps make TB such a strong community. i mean you can only get to know each other in a very one dimensional way if you only get to talk to them about bass and music, so i say if theres a thread you dont care for dont read it, as long as no rules are broken then theres no harm. you may not like it, but others may so i feel things are just fine here.

16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I have not been here all that long, but I still see the "thread quality" deteriorating. I may even have contributed to that a couple of times. But as it's mainly the Off Topic and Miscellaneous groups that are affected I don't really see it as a big problem. Just skip those groups if you don't want more "asinine". I wouldn't mind though if all the really useless threads, people just polling or babbling away to jack up their post count, were just closed right away. I think more posts could at least have some connection to music or bass playing.

The newbie type questions may have increased too, but that's just a consequence of more people finding this site, they are alright if a bit repetitive. Maybe this is actually a big factor in some people leaving or not posting so much anymore.

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they come up every 6 mos or so.

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I was against it at first, but I'm coming round to Bruce's idea of doing away with OT altogether and moving all off-topic discussion to the lounge.

19. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    That's a rediculous idea.

If being a valued member of an online community means having to shell out wonga then I'm not sure what that says about the community itself.

Then again, you could turn that view back on me and call me a cheapskate etc.

20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    What is it that makes people believe everything web or IT should be free of charge? Servers, software and communication don't come cheep.

Not even paying the $20 for this excellent service - now that's ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.