Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where have I been?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, May 28, 2005.

1. I'm giving you a heads up on why you havn't been seeing me post at all lately. I havn't been on talkbass in weeks because I havn't really been on the internet at all. I've had very little free time, and that time I have has been spent out of the house because I have so little of it. I used to play computer games all the time as well as waste ( ;) ) countless hours on sites like TB, but I just don't have time anymore.

The reason is that I've came home from college for the summer, and (for the first time) got a job. Well, it's not a job as I don't get payed for it, but it's the closest thing I've had to a job. I've been working as an intern at the National Republican Senatorial Committee in Washington DC. Being there from 9-6, plus ~45 mins transportation (rush hour traffic plus metro system) there and back leaves me very little free time. I think it's definitely worth it though, even with the lack of pay as it should look great on a resume when I'm trying to find a full time job after college/grad school. (it was more than a little difficult to get)

Overall though, it's a great experience. For the first time I know what a real work experience is like, and I skipped the retail/fast food step entirely. Everyone in the office is extremely nice and friendly, and it's a great atmosphere overall. It also is an opportunity to meet some high-profile politicians; eg I just met Senator Dole yesterday and her cute little dog. :p (who was trying to find the crumbs in my office) I havn't always been interested in politics as discussing them tends to anger people, but I'm learning so much about it and how Washington works through this internship. A lot of what I have to do is read through large quantities of news articles every day. (selecting which to be published to the NRSC website.) It's also an opportunity to attend interesting events such as the President's Dinner in early June, and recording senators speaking at different events in the Capitol.

I highly recommend to any college students looking for something to do in future summers to considering becoming an intern. While a normal summer job might provide you with some short-term money, things like these will stick with you and help you find better jobs in the long-term. I'll try to log in here and post from time to time, and maybe even at work when I have some free time. Prepare yourselves for more stupid posts. :)