1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

where have i gone wrong?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TJBass, Dec 31, 2011.

1. hard to tell in this foto, but I put new pots in the bass and not having an amp around at the moment I had to use a kareoke machine to check my work, well, the volume roll of is pretty steep, from wide open I get very little knob change before it goes silent, then the tone doesnt seem to make any change at all, any help? View attachment wire.bmp

2. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Looks like a P Bass, wiring schematic here:

http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/bass_guitars/019-3200_02A_SISD.pdf

3. well, took it out to a gig tonite and it sounded like craaaaaap, no highs at all, no control of the tone, when you turn the volume knob down just a little it acts like a mute switch. Could these Alpha pots be crap?

They are actually 250k pots, dont know why I thought they were 500k, but anyway, need help please, May have to put the old scratchy pots back in for now, thios is my backup bass but also my primary for practice.

4. ok, so I borrowed a multimeter to check my solder points and wiring, but before I go checking things, how do I check to make sure the pots ar working and the cap is still good?