Where In NYC or metro area.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WATCHTHECHORD, Nov 1, 2003.

Oct 28, 2003
    Where in NYC or the metro area can i go and look at and buy a nice bass...im looking to get the '75 Reissue Fender Jazz, or the G&L L2000, something in that ball park....please dont say sam ash, i want to be able to see about 8-10 different basses in the 1,000-1,500 dollar category..im willing to drive upto 90 min if i know the place is good with prices, im talking competetive pricing not price gouging...thanks to all. I am a beginner and want the best for my dollar...will be buying this bass next month.
  2. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    you could try the guitar center in Long Island City. It is located at 34-17 48th St in Queens.

Good luck.

Oct 28, 2003
    Thanks dave for the quick response, i will give them a shot....hopefully salepeople are friendly as well.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Rudy's on 48th St has a good selection of basses. Not sure if they stock G&L, but they have Lakland, MTD, Ken Smith. http://www.rudysmusic.com

NY Guitar and Bass Boutique on 9th b/w 50th and 51st has good stuff too, but less selection than Rudy's. They tend to have more higher end stuff (Elrick, FBass etc) but they do also stock G&L.

30th Street guitars, 30th b/w 7th and 8th has a good selection of new and used.
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You say you want the 75RI, which one (finish) do you want? I know where there is a CAR 75RI special edition, A black w/black pickguard maple neck black blocks and a natural one is. which do you want?

Oct 28, 2003
    I would like the Maple finish one, not the sunburst color....thanks to all, this site is just awesome, let me know where and how much, i will be ready in like 4 weeks to pick that up and an AMP cord and strap, early christmas gift....its great being single, answer to no one and spend what i want...life if good.
  7. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If you go to 48th Street in Manhattan between 7 and 8th I believe. Rudy's doesn't really carry any new Fenders, only used ones and vintage I believe. There's Manny's across the street with a decent selection, and then there's a Sam Ash all on that same block area.
  8. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    isn't there a vintage guitar shop on 23rd street (not too far from the giant movie theater)? i used to live in Manhattan and I remember going there and buying my first bass..i'm pretty sure it's on 23rd street. They had alot of vintage Fender basses and a few newer ones if I remember correctly.

otherwise than that, I think Manny's has a pretty decent selection.
  9. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    It is called "Chelsea 2nd hand Guitars"
    it is on 23rd off 7th Ave. It is on the south side of 23rd. They have a small selection of decent stuff.

As for 48th st, I would avoid it. The prices in Rudy's and 48th St. custom are outrageous. The prices are more adjusted to the wealthy tourist wallets. Manny's is not too bad though.
  10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ Guitar & Bass in Edison NJ has a great bass selection as well. I bought my 1st Warwick there like 10 yrs ago before anyone knew who Warwick was. Ask for Jay.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oi, that place gives me goosebumps when i walk in. such a cool and vibey place with the coolest stock of vintage National resonators. but its mostly vintage pieces, no? i dunno if they'd have anything in his price range. still, waaay cool, just to visit.

i'd just go to 48th st. and walk thru all the shops, then go home, and call up the guys at www.bassnw.com, www.basscentral.com, www.gguitars.com, and whatever host of other great bass only retailers that we all love on this board. they'll give you a much better price than anywhere in NYC. the tax alone would kill you. might as well get it mail order and pay only UPS Ground shipping.
  12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    You beat me to both of them... if you go to NY Guitar and Bass Boutique, ask for Jimmy, he actually used to work at Rudy's a while back...

good luck.
  13. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
  14. If you're into Jazz-like basses. At NY bass boutique they also have Alleva-Copollo basses.
    I tried a strat it was really good, I guess their basses are great too!
    On 48th street @ Manny's they have a great selections of Fender and G&L.