1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

where in the effect chain does the volume pedal go?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hawk92, Jun 5, 2012.

1. hawk92

hawk92

Feb 16, 2012
    I have read lots of opinions on the signal path for effects on the pedal board and I have yet to see one yet mention where the volume pedal goes? I only have a korg pitch black, big muff and deArmond volume pedal which I set up in that order going into the tuner and out of the volume pedal to the amp I intend to get more pedals but was wondering if the volume pedal shoud be at the beginning or end of the chain? Anybody with an opinion i'm all ears
    Thanks

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

The end. At the least after time based effects. Unless that is the effect you're going for.

3. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    I'd put it in different places depending on what I wanted to do.

If I wanted to use delay and reverb creatively I'd put it before those so that when I turn the volume down, the reverb/delay tails decay naturally. Then you can "bow" with the pedal and the echos carry on nicely, filling in the gaps.

If I just wanted a "kill/volume" control I'd put it last in the chain.

If I wanted to control gain/overdrive/distortion with the pedal I'd put it before my fuzz/overdrive.

I know guitarists who have 2 volume pedals in their chain so they can do more than one of these.

4. I like mine near the end, but before delay and reverb. OD>volume>delay makes for a good approximation of a bowed string tone.

5. hawk92

hawk92

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks guys, appreciate the input! I will leave it at the end and when I get a time based effect I will try it right before the effect!

6. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    i have mine first. It could go almost anywhere in my chain aslong as delays came after, because i do alot of volume swell stuff. Only reason i have it first, is that my board is totally full, and i got one of those huge boss volume peds and having it anywhere else other than first(off the board)would just be picky and freakin' annoying.

7. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    You can also put a volume pedal before drive to allow you to conrol the drive gain with the pedal.

I think a pedal you plug straight into with a passive bass needs a different impedance to one that you plug an active or another pedal into.

Basically you can put it almost anywhere, depending on what you want to do with it. Think what effect it has on what comes after it in the chain - delay/reverb and drive being the most 'interesting'.

8. JackM48

JackM48

Jun 26, 2012
    Would anybody suggest the Effects Chain Order for
    1.) Boss CEB-3 (Bass Chorus)
    2.) GEB-7 (Bass Equalizer)
    3.) LMB-3 (Bass Limiter Enhancer)
    4.) ODB-3 (Bass OverDrive) Pedal
    5.) Volume Pedal

9. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I do the same thing, except with fuzz. I also have the entire chain blended in with my clean tone with my Boss LS-2. Allows me to go from a "normal" bass line to an effects-laden bowed string type of sound.

For general use, I'd go:

GEB-7 -> ODB-3 -> CEB-3 -> LMB-3 -> Volume

Although I would fiddle with or not even use the LMB-3. There are all kinds of non-traditional (read: fun) ways to mix it up, too!