Where in the World Can Someone Gig 7x/Wk?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by eJake, Mar 12, 2018.

1. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Hey Y'all!

I moved to New Orleans from Chicago 3 years ago and for the past two years I've been gigging my butt off. When I lived in Chi, I played mostly original music with one or two jazz gigs per week and the occasional suburban cover gig or wedding.

My current gig schedule (which has about 5 solid standing gigs per week and another 2-5 pickup or sub gigs) has doubles on Fridays and Sundays. Doing doubles in Chicago was a once in a while type thing but here doubles and triples are common. doing 15 gigs a week during high season is just considered "working while the workins good".

I definitely recognize that New Orleans is a different market than many other places but I'd like to hear if anyone else works this much, how, and where they're doing it. 80% of the gigs that I do down here are at bars but I get some private gigs too and have some festival dates booked in the next couple months.

So if you're a pro player and gigging a bunch of times a week, Id like to hear about it. Church, private events, bars, festivals, well tended carrot farms?

dralionux and design like this.
  2. sm49341

sm49341

May 12, 2013
    Michigan
    Cruise ship. Im not a pro but been on several cruises and from what i saw the musicians were 2x 7. Or perhaps 2x 6, then one day a single gig day.
    Gigs were short tho. Generally 60 to 90 minutes.

eJake likes this.
  3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Cruise ship, Vegas, Nashville (if you aren't too particular about the money). Around these parts 7x a MONTH would be a busy player.

buldog5151bass and design like this.
  4. When I lived in San Antonio, Texas, there was good theme park work for reading players: six days a week, 3-4 shows per day, good pay. Also plenty of jazz and church work. Up here in Canada? Not even close. Playing once a week up here is good.

dralionux, eJake and design like this.
  5. Depends on the kind of music you play in NOLA. If you love Jazz, Blues, and Funk then you are indeed in gig heaven. If you want to play original prog rock, Metal, or Punk NOLA is not going to offer that opportunity.

12BitSlab and eJake like this.
  6. You can definitely play 7 days a week where I live in NC. Problem is 4 or 5 of the gigs will be playing on restaurant patios for nothing but tips if that. I know a couple musicians who have done that in my area. Most play more than one instrument and all play in multiple projects, and none of them really make a decent living. Got a buddy who plays bass in an Alice In Chains vibe original band that also plays guitar and is the lead singer in an acoustic 80s cover band. Another buddy who recently moved away to take a job at sweetwater who was playing bass and drums in different projects. I don’t know if I’d consider playing hundreds of shows a year very professional at this point. I know several guys in huge bands and they are all getting older and have kids so they refuse to be the road dogs they used to be a decade ago. Most of the musicians I consider professions these days are really only playing maybe up to 50 gigs a year but are making additional money in music like teaching, instrument repair, or they run their own studios. Jamie king for example I consider a professional. He owns and runs the basement studio in Winston Salem NC and records bands 5-6 days a week (some notable bands also like he has recorded the majority of between the buried and me albums, as well as the contortionist, Soften the Glare and tins of others . He also plays drums in a great original metal band called Swift which recently recorded another new album

eJake likes this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    For most of us, the question isn't where, it's when.

8. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    This is true. There is an alt scene in New Orleans (siberia, Saturn bar, circle bar, Gasa Gasa) but those venues would be similar to other places in the country where you might book one gig a month (max) with your original band.

Also believe it or not, a big chunk of my gigs are salsa and reggae.

9. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I used to busk on the street out here before I had good gigs. The money can be great or awful and it's pretty much impossible to tell which it will be.

Ive held down side jobs to help out during slow months. I'd like to break into some crew jobs at the big festivals pretty much just so I can do some backdoor networking.

Doing all of these bar gigs is definitely not for everyone but age has nothing to do with it. There are tons of old timers playing all types of gigs. The caveat being they're not out on the road.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021