1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

where is "flat" on a semi parametric eq?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Triclops, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    where do I set my frequency knobs to achieve a flat response? I have low(40 to 500hz)mid(300hz to 3k)
    and high(2k to 10k),also low and high shelving.
    I am having a hard time getting a clean sound out of my preamp.It mostly sounds middy and muddy.any suggested settings? I'll leave this one in the hands of the Talkbass wizards out there....
    Thanx in advance.

2. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    The frequency is irrelevant to whether or not your amp is "flat." If you have no frequencies cut or boosted, then it is flat.

3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    You're misunderstanding how a parametric EQ works...the knobs you are describing only select which frequencies to boost and/or cut. There should be a secondary knob associated with each one that selects the amount of boost or cut applied to each frequency. Set this to "0", typically straight up. If this is at 0 for all the knobs, it won't matter what frequency response you have the others set at, it will be flat.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    For the majority of heads, with "no boost"/flat settings they'll still have an EQ curve to them. It's there to make you think there's something special with the head, or to give you a recommended starting point. The only way to know what flat is, is to measure it, but it's hardly worth it. "Flat" doesn't mean you have a good sound, you'll need some EQ.

What cabinet do you have? It's probably that no matter what you EQ your cabinet just isn't cutting it.

5. If you want it to be flat, set everything to 0db. All the EQ knobs/sliders should have a 0db marked on them. Usually that's the middle, or "12 o'clock", then fully clockwise would be, around +12db, and fully counter clockwise would be -12db. The parametric EQ should have both a frequency knob and a level knob. If the level knob is set to 0db, it shouldn't matter what you turn the frequency to, if you are neither boosting or cutting the frequencies your sound should be "flat". Flat for one amp may be different than flat for another and cabs are not always "flat" either. Oh, and turn off any pre-shapers too. Does that make sense?

But as for cleaning up you sound, "flat" is a good place to start. The best way is to just listen after than, make small adjustments, but this is a good primer:

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/eqprimer.php

EDIT: man, I typed way to slow and was beaten to it. :)