Where Is Hamish ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rickbass, Nov 24, 2000.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think Hamish Stuart, (Average White Band), comped closer to James Brown's bassists than any other white guy. He was sooo in the pocket. Does anyone know know what he did after Alan Gorrie took over ?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Alan Gorrie & Hamish Stuart were in AWB together(original members, both!)...in fact, I'd say Gorrie was the "primary" bassist in the band(Gorrie played the bulk of the tunes). On "Love Your Life"(off SOUL SEARCHING & the live PERSON TO PERSON album), BOTH guys played bass...one guy played the groove, the other played the fills.
    After AWB hit the skids, Stuart joined McCartney's band(& he doubled on both bass & guitar).
    Stuart also released a solo album about a year or two ago.
    Check out http://www.averagewhiteband.com
    I've seen Stuart's record at http://www.towerrecords.com

I forget his "official" site's URL...

Needless to say, I'll rap about these guys & AWB all day/night long.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    One of the funkiest bands ever.
  4. My opinion:
    as bassist Hamish eats Paul Macca for breakfast.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There is an official AWB website:

I remember my Sister going to school with the drummer Steve Ferrone (I have a feeling they went out!) who grew up in Brighton (my home town) and went on to better things! ;)

I have also heard Hamish's name on the local Jazz scene in the UK, playing in his own band and in Jazz groups with people like Jim Mullen and Dick Morrisey, who is now very ill. I'm sure that Hamish has played a lot of solo gigs in London in Jazz clubs, like the 606 and Ronnie Scotts. His band also played this year in Hove near where I live and friends said it was a great gig - I know the bass player who was in the support band for them - but I couldn't get to it.

He also has his own website :

6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I checked awb.com & I think it said Dick Morrisey had passed.
    The cuts I checked out from Hamish's solo album are definitely in a Soul/R&B vibe...much like the solo Alan Gorrie album I bought back in the '80s(Hamish's production is a whole lot slicker, though).
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What I heard about from Jazz UK was like a "last gig" where all Dick Morrisey's friends got together to pay tribute - he was in a wheelchair at the time - I think they all knew. This was mentioned at a Jim Mullen gig I went to, which must have been before.

I will definitely try to get to see Hamish Stuart's band when they come round again, there seems to have been a "soul" revival on the Jazz club circuit in London.

I imagine a lot of the Jazz players can get more money backing a well-known singer, than just playing straight ahead instrumental Jazz - I think a lot of them like stuff like AWB anyway - "Pick up The Pieces" is a favourite "blowing tune" at the Jazz Summerschool I attended - most of the tutors are actually London-based Jazz pros.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think I need to check out airfares to the U.K.