Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where is jaco's bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryan morris, May 22, 2001.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i tried search, but couldn't find the answer. if anyone knows please inform me. i'd love to see it some day.and move this thread if you'd like.
    thanks, later

2. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    It is still missing (that is if I understand your question properly).

3. Jaco used many basses over the years, but had two main ones, his famous fretless, and an identical fretted. Both are missing in action, and if I knew where they were, I'd be rich!

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I remember when Jaco was still alive, he sold the fretless one to Richie Friedman @ "Buy & Sell"in NYC. I didn't know what it was. I thought to my self, "Who would pay sooo much for such a apeice of junk?" If I only knew!!!!! It was in a case w/pictures & it was selling for ALOT of money. He ended up selling it back to Jaco.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If you've seen the Jaco Video, you'll see Jaco playing a custom fretless with a scroll. That bass now belongs to Jerry Jemmott, although he had the bass fretted, which I think was a stupid thing to do.

Will C.:cool:

6. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    well, the '62 fretless is in my bathroom, and the fretted one I keep at my grandma's place.

but don't tell anyone...

7. I read that was Jemmott's bass, sure not Jaco's, and a couple of years ago it was on sale in a shop but I can't remember where.

8. Yea but Jerry doesn't play fretless.

Jerry Jemmott now there is a bass player more people on TB should be talking about.

9. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    wow, i must be dumb, because i thought jaco only had one bass(the fretless j) and thought it had to be in some music hall of fame or something. that sucks.

10. Be sure both the '60 and '62 Jazz basses are in some personal hall of fame :(.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maybe it's with Jamerson's "Funk Machine" :(

12. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    I'd lay odds that one, if not both, of his main Jazzes are in one of his family member's home.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    But you figure the guy could have had another bas made just like it, no? I mean, it was a Jaco bass.

Then again, he probably bought it off Jaco and the bass is his to do what he pleases, but considering it's origin, I'd have treated that bass a little better.

W:cool:C.

14. Just my feeling but for that thief it was just a P Fender.
    Later I dunno of course but perhaps the owner don't know what he has in his hands [besides the word FUNK on it].

15. dbradford

dbradford

May 7, 2001
    Cary, NC
    I think rickbass1 is dead-on, actually. My copy of the book is lent out, so I can't verify this, but I'm almost certain that in Jaco's biography, Bill Milkowski says that both of Jaco's early 60's J Basses (one fretted, one fretless) were stolen during his homeless period in NYC when Jaco was sleeping on park benches. The basses were out of their cases, exposed to the weather, and easily stolen, given Jaco's condition at the time. Milkowski's book is well worth the read, by the way.

16. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    imagine the next situtaion:

some 14 years old got this strange worn out sunburst Jbass "with no frets on it" that his dad bought for him in a pawn shop for like 250$.
    now, he doesn't know where this bass really came from, and he is frustrated at playing a fretless that "can't even make those clicky Korn sounds" so he throws it in the storage closet and goes out to buy one of those hot nu-metal basses he sees on MTV.

funny huh? I wouldn't be surpprised if Jaco's Jazz really lays in someones appartment as "that guitar I found in the garbage and decided to keep as a decoration for my living room/bar".

17. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    A bassist name Greg Rzab(I think thats his name)
    owns the fretted Jazz bass that appears in the video. Im almost positive it was that bass.

Anyways, he found it some shop in New York City. It also came with (i think) 2 jazz bass necks. One that jaco had already defretted and a pair of socks or something. Seriously. I Read it in bass player a long time ago. Musta been 92 or so.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I was always under the impression that that was Jerry's bass to begin with. No?

19. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I think that might have always been Jerry's bass also. I have his r&b book and he actually uses that bass as a little symbol on all the pages.

20. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    The first scroll bass was made for Jerry. It was fretted from the get go. THe luthier then made a fretless version for Jaco. Hopwever, I believe that the fretless scroll bass is now in Jerry's collection.

As to the whereabouts of Jaco's other instruments, your guess is as good as mine. I am having a hard time deciding whether or not I like the idea of those instruments, and Jamerson's funk machine as well, in museums or not. I think that their previous owners might have wanted them to contiue to make music, not collect dust...