Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where is Melvin Gibbs?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rulyøngo, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Does anybody knows what Melvin Gibbs been up to? He is one of my favorite bassists and I want to check out what he is doing...

2. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

What exactly was his opinion on the Low B? Links? :hyper:

I think he was playing MTD basses with Rollins Band. Phenomenal tone.

3. That is true... and also check out "Weighting" ( outtakes and live tracks from the "Weight" era... Very good!!!

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Did MTD exist then? Maybe original Tobias basses...

Alex

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    One of his Melvin's current projects is the band Harriet Tubman. Official website is: http://www.harriettubmanmusic.com/

He was also featured on the CD 'The Rites' by Burnt Sugar back in 03/04: www.burntsugarindex.com

I dug out yesterday my copy of 'Power Tools' by Bill Frisell, Melvin, and Ronald Shannon Jackson. Hadn't listened to it for a couple of years - I didn't really like it back then. My tastes have developed since, because I LOVE it! Some of the most fiery, "out" playing I have heard from Frisell. Melvin and Ronald make a great rhythm section.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Check out the used/cutout bins for the album Melvin did with his then wife with a band called Eye & Eye about 15 years ago. Some very cool stuff in the Living Colour mode :bassist:

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yeha, Eye & I was cool. I played on a bill with them once at CBGB. IIRC they had a turntablist and a kicking drummer.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I do have Eye & I...need to pick up Power Tools!

I recall an interview w/ Gibbs in an old Guitar Player mag(maybe an early Bass Player?)-
    Gibbs was talking about how he didn't really use slap/pop; he said, "...you want Slap? Call Marcus. You want something different? Call me".

I like that.

Sonny Sharrock's Seize The Rainbow is another Gibbs' album to check out.

9. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    Melvin is playing in a band called " Hariet Tubbman". They have a web site and a new record. He's agreat guy and a hell of a bassist!

10. Thanks a lot from everyone!!!

I also like Eye & I and Power Tools, but still have to check out "Seize the rainbow"

11. IIRC he played in a trio with Vernon and Will from LC back in the early 1990's. They did a couple club dates where they played some wicked fusion stuff, including some Mahavishnu covers. It was supposed to be recorded for an album, but it never happened I guess.

I saw Melvin play with DJ Logic when he was opening for MMW.

The only time I ever wanted a six string. (Okay, it happened again when I saw Calle 54...)

L

12. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Wow, that would have been really great to see/hear! I wonder if there are tapes floating around. I can't imagine that they wouldn't record that even if it was just for themselves. :bassist:

13. He talked about the band with Reid/Calhoun on his Guitar Player interview, there is even a transcription for one of his solos... if only they released a cd!!!... I always thought that he would join Living Colour after Muzz left... but it was great to see Wimbish in LC and Gibbs in Rollins... :bassist:

14. To me the only really good track in I & Eye is the cover of "Venus in Furs"... But Weight!!!! Man!!! i remember reading somewhere that Rollins broke up the band because they were writing material that was too complicated for him to sing...

15. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just learned that Gibbs is now part of the Children of Agharta band:

Pete Cosey (gtr), Gary Bartz (sax), Melvin Gibbs (b), Doni Hagen (dr).

Have fired off emails to Gary and Melvin for more info.

16. FELLAS, FELLAS, FELLAS!!!!!! I know this started as a "What is he doing now?" thread, but you are missing what is (IMO) Melvin's greatest piece of work to date!!! His playing on The Clinton Administration's One Nation Under a Re-Groove is some of the best stuff I have heard. This CD is one of my all-time favorites!! Not to mention Phil Upchurch on guitar, Robert Walter on keys/organ (one of my absolute favorite), and Clyde Stubblefield (James Brown, P-Funk) on drums!!!! And better yet, they are playing nothing but P-Funk tunes!!!!

If you guys don't go get it now, I'm going to have to come over there!!! :ninja: :ninja:

17. Thanks for the info... I gotta check it out...

18. Thanks for the tip! Just found a bunch of clips here:

http://www.magnacartarecords.com/releases/clinton.html

Edit: This stuff sounds great.

19. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK