1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where is that sound coming from!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mlbarlow, Dec 10, 2006.

1. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    So, I've got some new and some new-to-me gear. The new is an Avatar 210, which has its 212 big brother on the way. The new-to-me is a Carvin B500 head.

For the most part, I like the sounds that I'm getting ... one annoyance, though ... I've got several rattles and other sorts of sounds that shouldn't really be there, at least as far as I know.

Perhaps the most serious is this ... I get a very slight almost overdrive when I play - not so much in the high register, but most noticably on the low B string. The thing is, it doesn't sound like a blown speaker issue (and come on, the thing is brand new) as the horn is A-OK and I get a good fundamental sound ... there's just this other thing happening.

Otherwise, there are a number of ambient rattles which I'm sure only can be diagnosed from checking the thing out. My drummer is going to mess with it on Tuesday while I play and try to find the root of the problem(s).

I've been playing on small combos for so long that I'm not sure how much of this I should expect from a larger setup - which is to be used primarily for considerable power.

Thoughts?

2. EEK! Don't let a drummer near you gear! :)

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The overdrive sound might be from pushing the 2-10 harder than it's able to take. Maybe too much bass boost. Some of the new 2-10s do very well compared to the older cabinets, but still, you're asking a lot of it when you push that B string hard with just 2 little 10s.

If it's happening at very low volumes too, then you'd have to suspect the drivers in the cabinet. Once in a while you get a bad one that's damaged in shipping. First though, check out your amp, EQ settings, everything, to make sure it's not coming from the head itself. You can try the head with a speaker cabinet you know to be good. If the head checks out okay, then start looking at the cabinet.

As far as ambient rattles go, there can be a number of things causing this so having the drummer try to isolate it while you play is a good idea. Try removing the grill too as sometimes these can rattle if not mounted properly. Check also that the speakers are mounted securely to the baffle board, but don't overtighten the mounting screws.

If all else fails, call Avatar. Thy're pretty good with customer service.

4. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    62bass comes to my rescue again ... thanks.

Well, low volumes make the same, consistent (albeit subtle) growl, but what is strange is that the initial attack is clean. Also, my EQ is flat. I'll be eager to try the head on the 212, which will arrive soon, and see if my problem may lie there. It's really odd, though ... the clip light isn't coming on or anything like that.

Perhaps it would be in my best interest to contact Avatar ... I'll see if I can't figure it out another way in the next few days.

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    You positive the rattles aren't something in the room? My wall would rattle sometimes on certain notes...like the screws in the studs were loose. weird. So I put the amp on the other side of the room!

6. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Check the edges of the dust caps on each of the speakers (around the paper "cone"). I had a problem with the edge coming unglued on a speaker and it caused an overdrive-type sound at low volume levels. It's worth a check. If the that's the problem, then a dab of clear adhesive will work, but I'd just return it in your case since it is a new unit. Could be a lemon waiting to squirt.

P.S. Use a flashlight when checking.

7. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    good ideas ....

i'm fairly certain that it's not something in the room rattling, as I've put my ear up to the speakers, and it seems to be coming from that direction. one's ears aren't always correct, though.:smug:

I'll check into all of these possibilities tomorrow or tuesday, and report my findings

thanks!

8. I had the same trouble last week at a gig. But the rattle was coming from the same place as the smoke.:D It was a cross
    over that had melted the foam that was between it and the cabinet had melted. On the serious side I play with a Carvin 1000 red line and it took a while to get it set up. Not and out of the box sound good amp till you learn to dial every thing in.
    I don`t know about the B 500.

9. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Alright, so I moved the cab and the head out of my basement (where my band rehearses, and where it makes my wife happiest :smug: ) into my carpeted living room. Things improved, but I was still getting rattles that I wasn't sure were totally from the surrounding environment. Putting an ear up to the grill, though, only the low B seemed to be creating any extra noise from the woofers.

I tried adjusting the EQ ... the B500, for better or for worse, doesn't have nearly as many dials as the Red Line 1000, but the thought of turning some nobs seemed a good one. The amp pretty much has six EQ knobs, drive, and volume. I had everything at 5, excepting the volume and drive, which were at 3. I turned the lowest kob, "sub bass" to 0, and the problem was gone. Not a great sound, but no buzz.

So, in other words, if I played a four, I probably wouldn't hear a thing wrong. I'll check out the grill, and screws and stuff, but it all seems very well put together. I'm thinking that a low B is just so low that it's bound to rattle things? What seemed like the woofer was probably my imagination just the E and A in my basesment?

If anyone thinks I've still got a problem (well, I've got many, but this one in particular :D ), let me know, but I think we're okay.

Peace,
    Matt

10. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I think there's still a problem there. I have an Avatar 410 NEO and regularly push my Lakland's B through it without that noise from any of the speakers. Do you have the NEO drivers in your box?

Nevertheless, I really think you should call up Avatar. Perhaps they can give you some other suggestions to help diagnose the problem first. Push for a replacement. Their customer service is awesome and they'll treat you fairly. Keep in mind if you let the problem go, you run the risk of the problem getting worse...And eventually anything on your E string will sound fuzzy.

11. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    yeah, I guess you're right ...

after further inspection, there is a notable flutter when I play on the b string, and a less noticible, but evident flutter with the E

I emailed Dave at Avatar ... I'm sure he'll help out

12. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    There are a couple of possibilities the way I see it.

The first COULD be your horn or crossover. My 4x10 neo had this bizarre tweeter fuzz happening for the first week I had it. Dave and I were getting ready to swap it out when it suddenly started working. Weird.

More likely though, is that you are pushing something too hard. From the way you describe it I would look to my low contouring first, then drop the lower frequency on EQ if you have it, Im just giving broad ideas, I dont really know how your head works. But a lot of people dont realize that the low EQ on the some cabs will overdrive flat at high volumes.

My final solution would be backing off the pre, since you arent probably pushing the power amp, the pre may still likely be clipping somewhere in the line.

Let us know how it goes with more cabs.

13. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    so I spoke with dave ... he had me try each speaker individually and see what happened. they both sounded exactly the same, so he figured it's not the speakers ... if they were blown, they wouldn't likely sound the same. so he's trading out the input panel with me to see that is the culprit.

incidentally, my wife gave me an avatar 212 for my birthday today (I love my wife.), and only the 210 makes aforementioned buzz

but like you guys said, dave is fair and comes through

peace

14. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I have an older B210 cab that I bought used. What do you have the tweeter set at? On my cab thats where I found some rattle, harshness when I hit my low B on my skyline 55-01. Turned in down, still some noise, turned if completely off, no noise. I also have a used B212 that I turn the tweeter setting off on. I should make that change out that I've seen here to improve the tweeters. Now this is at home at moderate volumes, when I play out with these cabs I can turn the tweeter setting up about 1/4. There's some hiss but with all the other instruments any noise gets lost in the music. good luck with that.

15. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    the tweeter is actually totally cool! no, it's pretty evident that the buzz comes from the speakers. thanks though

16. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    That's great Dave is working with you. He always comes through. I'm sure you'll soon forget about the whole thing after getting busy w/the 212!