1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where is the 1x12 shootout?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Apr 17, 2006.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've searched several times under different key terms, and just can't find the 1x12 shootout. I found Tom's 2x10, updated 2x10, and 1x10 shootouts, but just can't seem to find the 1x12. It's frustrating me since I'm really interested in the Glock and Eden 1x12s, and EA 2x10 right now. Anyone feel like helping me out and throwing a link up here?

2. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    That's really weird..... I was just searching that very subject. I want to do the 2- 1x12's instead of 2x12 for portability reasons ( I'm getting really old, see...)

3. I don't know if this is the one you are looking for, but here you are. CLICK ME!!

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    (Id keep the berg ht112 in mind :))

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I don't know if it is a 'tombowlus 1x12 shootout' that you are looking for, but believe it or not, up until now, there has not been one! :eek: First, I was waiting on my Glockenklang Space Deluxe to arrive, and now I am waiting on my Raezer's Edge Bass 12-400. But, once it comes in, I'll have the following on hand:

Bag End S12-D
    Bag End S12X-C
    Bergantino EX112
    Bergantino HT112
    Bergantino IP112
    EA CxL-112
    EA CxL-112L
    EA Wizzy
    Epifani T-112
    Glockenklang Space Deluxe
    Raezer's Edge Bass 12-400
    Schroeder Mini 12+

Now, there is also an upcoming GTG in Columbus, where we plan on doing some 1x12 comparisons. Check out this thread.

And here is another mini comparison regarding Bergs (both powered an unpowered) and Wizzy's with electric and upright.

And finally, The Berg IP112 Is Mine thread has some good reading.

Tom.

6. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Hey Tom,

I'd really like to hear your opinions on any differences between the EA cxl-112 and cxl-112L if you don't mind.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    I actually have not done a serious A/B of them, since very shortly after my CxL-112 came in, a certain local TBer immediately took it home with him! ;) :p

But that is on the list, for sure. :)

8. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    It would be great if you could add the Aguilar GS112 and Eden D112XLT to the fray...

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    I can PM you my address, if you like. :p

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I agree that I'd love to hear impressions of the Eden in there as well. I got to check out the Glock, Cxl112, Schroeder 1210, Genz Benz Neo 1x12, and Eden D112XLT over the weekend, but would love to hear others' impressions of them. Stupidly, I didn't get to check out the Bergies or Bag Ends, so I look forward to the reviews.
    I wish I could make it up, but that's right in the middle of my finals, and I'm not much of a belcher. The Podcast might be interesting, though! It's a shame, too, because I could convince my parents to buy me a plane ticket, using the excuse that I could check out the Capital University Law School.
    Oh well. I look forward to the reviews!

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Here's your chance to measure the response curves of all those speakers. It's not too difficult to get the basic low frequency curve. Follow the link in my signature to see how I did it. They are all 1x12's, so a series of tests with the microphone close to the grille of each driver would be a valid comparison of sensitivity, even without an absolute sensitivity calibration.

12. Tom, your reviews of cabs are like a good wine review. I am at a loss for words to describe what I like about an amp, cab or bass, but when you describe one I can say, "No, I that wouldn't appeal to me" or "That's exactly what I am looking for". The only problem is that after reading your reviews and interpolating some of those written by other people I can tell that what I want is a Berg IP 212 or IP 310 or an IP 322 (if Jim ever made another one) that is the same size and weight as an Epi UL310 and only costs $500. I just bought my 5 string, now I am in the market for a new amp & cab or cabs. So if you decide to do a 112 or 212 or 21012 shootout, I'll be an avid reader.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Thank you for your kind words! :)

Well, I have plenty of 1x12's, but only 3 2x12's (HT212, HD-212, Whappo, Jr.), and only one 2x10+12 (IP322), so for now, it'll probably be just the 1x12 shootout (though that is enough for a 2x12 shootout, perhaps...).

Tom.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just heard Fernando Huergo playing in Boston through a GK800RB into an HT112 with a 5 piece group. The sound was incredible.

15. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    hows about an avatar b112? they seem cheap enough for us welfare cases (and maybe tom to add in)

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1

I did a lot of searching and reading comments on various TB threads concerning 1-12 cabinets. When all the smoke cleared, I went with the Berg HT-112 based primarily on Tom's description of it's sound.

Talk about getting "just what the doctor ordered"! I'm more impressed everytime I play through it!:)

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio