1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where is the bass player in the Yeah Yeah Yeahs?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by crow01, Jul 28, 2009.

1. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    So I just discovered this band. Never heard of them until yesterday, from which I have to say it sounds really cool.

In many songs I hear a guitar, a bass player and a keyboard.

At many of those youtube videos I only see one guitar, one drummer, no bass player no keys.

How does he do it?

I think he has a looper and then he plays over a very bassy guitar?

2. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I'm not super familiar with this band, but what's very likely is that someone in the band (or a session player) records bass in the studio.

3. Rudreax

Rudreax Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Either session people, or production work. They don't have a bass player.

4. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    They now have a touring member who switches between bass, keyboards, and acoustic guitar

5. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008
    I enjoy their albums to a degree, but I saw them live some time ago when it was just the three actual members. It kinda sucked. I'm glad to hear they have a touring member now; I'd consider seeing them again on the right bill.

6. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    They do have a touring member as of their last album that plays keys and bass. The new albums have a session bassist I believe.

They were originally (fever to tell album) just a three piece (drums vox guitar). So, some of the footage you may be seeing is of this earlier incantation. IMO Fever to Tell is their best album to date.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    That's right, but he's not on stage for every song. For a few, they revert to drums, guitar, and vocals.

I saw them last night in Philly, and it was a great show, despite the minimal bass, and a few backing synth tracks that seem inconsistent with their art-punk roots. Karen O is one of the most charismatic, inspiring performers I've ever seen, and most of the material is great. I dig all three albums, and some of it was better live than recorded.

They really could use more bass though, and I would love to supply it myself!