1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where Is the "Honk" coming from? Driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by CoffeeLove, Dec 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove Supporting Member

Well, my Stingray 5 seems to make a honking tone/sound, especially as I work my way up the neck (5th fret and above) and most noticeable on the A, D, and G strings. Happens regardless of what amp/cab combination I am using. Have been using Elixir Nickel strings, but cannot imagine they are the problem (replace them regularly)

So, is it a technique issue, EQ/frequency issue, or something else? Read somewhere that boosted high-mids can cause the problem, but I tend to run my amp and bass EQ close to flat. Does not seem to happen with my jazz bass. So strange!

Thanks

2. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    It seems to me that that is a standard tone of a soloed bridge pickup. That is the secret to the "Jaco Honk". Generally speaking that came from a combination of a soloed bridge pickup and plucking near the bridge.

C/S,
    Rev J

CoffeeLove and gebass6 like this.
  3. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I like the honky middy sound. For me it is most prominent by playing about where a Jazz bridge pickup would be, regardless of what kind of bass it is.

CoffeeLove and gebass6 like this.
  4. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    Did you check batteries?

CoffeeLove likes this.
  5. CoffeeLove

Thanks guys, yes, new battery installed. Well, if the honk was intentional that would be great, but in my case it is not wanted. Jaco seemed to have lots of burp in his tone, the honk I am hearing is different. It seems to get worse as I dig in, so leads me to think technique. I will try fingering in different locations (closer/further from bridge).

6. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I'm fighting the urge to make a joke about using the word honky. My girlfriend got upset with me once when I described someones rapping style as "White".

C/S,
    Rev J

CoffeeLove likes this.
  7. Cut @ 800Hz-1kHz. The Sansamp BassDriver DI/Pre does this well.

CoffeeLove likes this.
  8. CoffeeLove

Will give that a shot Groove Doctor. Thanks guys

Groove Doctor likes this.