1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where is the 'Line 6'-killer bass modeling amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, Sep 13, 2008.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    In the regular guitar world there's Vox, Line 6, & whatever else is out there (I really don't stay too much up on the guitar side of things).
    From what I heard the Line 6, Roland, Peavy BAM, whathaveyou amps or processors really don't do that good without a lot of tweaking to the built-in models.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a really good modeling amp that could do 'direct to board' type transparent sound and also have models for the distinct tones from various classic bass tone types.
    Combine it with a low-colorization cabinet and you could model different specific cab tones as well (or just cleanly amplify the tone of your bass guitar).
    It seems that if someone did this right, there would be a good market for it.
    Hopefully, these aren't too far away.

Or are there currently products that are doing this pretty well right now?

2. Line6 Bass Pod ... amp and cab emulation, direct to p/a or as a preamp for your power amp...I think they sound great. I have the Pod xt Live for guitar, but with bass package added...I use it for pc recording and it will do pretty much whatever I want, including effects.

3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    The reason it doesn't work is because digital modeling doesn't naturally change it's tonal character as volume increases that way a real amp does. IMO, modeling is good for low volume stuff, but will never be able to completely replicate the subtleties of a real amp, both tonally and in terms of response sensitivty.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    On the other hand, it's getting better. Tonally I think modeling can actually get the job done. But the way it changes character as you turn the volume up is going to be a while before they nail that.

5. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I will see a product supervisor for Line6 this tuesday. I'll pass this stuff along.

My dream set up,
    Get a laptop, some nice SSL and UA plug ins, and run it through main stage.
    Should be able to tackle that in about 4-5 months.

Jonathan

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
  7. The fact is, if it happens, it can be duplicated digitally, eventually. This includes all the characteristics of cabinets, speakers, tubes and mic's.I bet you could duplicate room humidity levels as silly as that sounds, it does affect tone. Naysayers will see that eventually any sound or characteristics can be mapped and reproduced with 0's and 1's. As for volume at gigging levels, how many people in the audience do you think would be able to tell the difference, honestly?

8. wsmerwin@hotmai

wsmerwin@hotmai

Jan 30, 2008
    Line Six has gone one better and introduced the modeled bass, the Variax 700 and 705. Now discontinued, the Variax was a good bass guitar with an amazing "collection" of samples (?) built into it. Play a trademark lick with the appropriate sound (the Alembic bass and Stanley Clarke's Lopsy Lu for example) and the mimicry is amazing.

Amplifying the bass has had more to do with accuracy and volume than a particular cabinet tone. Not that there aren't differences in equipment that show up as part of your "sound" but I think the lead guitar is influenced to a much greater degree (and often by design) by amps, cabinets, speakers and circuitry. A modeling amp for bass seems like a horse in search of a rider, but who knows whether a Hartke, Accoustic, Gallien Kreuger, Ampeg and an Eden amp in a box will be the next big thing.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Right. Only I can tell the difference. I've used probably 20-30 different rigs with my bands (if you count fly gigs), and nobody has ever noticed the difference except me. But that's enough. And that's why I'm currently back to an all-tube rig.

10. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    That there is the sound of a nail being hit on the head.

The fact of the matter is that live or in the studio, the bass is always mixed so low that nobody can tell what you're using anyway. And 90% of what you're hearing either in the FOH or on the record is a D.I. sound anyway. So the reason we drag heavy and expensive rigs around is because we're the only ones who notice the difference.

Ergo buying a Bass Pod was one of the best decisions I ever made for my back or my wallet. It's seen more action in the last 3 years than any amp I've owned in the last 18 years.

11. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    When it comes to distorted guitar, many people. Digital distortion is flat out harsh, man. Even if you do nail it tonally, I highly doubt technology will ever allow for the sensitivity factor. That may not matter if you're a radio metal band that punches your guitar all night, but if you're Stevie Ray Vaughn, the audience is missing out on a LOT of the tone and feel you create with your fingers.

IMO.