Where is the next "Grunge" going to come from?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FloridaTim, Sep 11, 2018.

1. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

May 29, 2013
    Kissimmee, FL
    With all of the theories about if guitar rock and live instruments are dead, any theories on when we will get our next breakthrough?

Guitar rock is alive and well, it's just being called Country now.

Heavy/Hard rock has been pretty stagnant for the past 10 years.

Last time music got this watered down we were saved by a movement out of Seattle. Grunge motivated a whole new generation to pick up guitars and learn 3 chords.

So, what's next? Where are the kids sitting in their garages about to turn things upside down? I don't see much going on here in Central Florida (but I am 52 years old and probably wouldn't be aware of it if it was happening).

Obvious answers might be Austin or San Antonio, but I'm asking the TB world... Do you see any musical movements? Grassroots uprisings of music that will be the next big thing?

mikewalker likes this.
  2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Sadly, I'm not so sure it will be a classical resurgence like those in the past. what I mostly see in kids today is an interest in watching one another on YouTube and other social media. Some are still interested in bands and produced music, but so much of the big-name stuff out there is singer oriented and not really geared to a simple live venue.

I'm practically willing to bet money that by the time my youngest kids are teenagers they're going to be mostly interested in watching a YouTube video of kids watching a fellow kid amateur play a guitar in his backyard... :D

Bass Man Dan and FloridaTim like this.
  3. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I tend to think in the same direction as @Beej. In the past, Punk was a reaction of sorts against stadium giants like ELP, Led Zeppelin, The Who--the punk generation wanted to show that you didn't need to be a bajillionaire and live in a 75 room English manor house to make music. The Grunge movement was somewhat similar in it's reaction to the super-indulgent 80's metal scene ( god I miss those days ).

I may be out of touch and somewhat myopic these days, but I don't see up and coming players having--or even wanting--to rebel against any from of popular music. That's not to say that those feelings aren't out there--there's just not enough of them to constitute a "movement".

FloridaTim likes this.
  4. Verb the Noun

Verb the Noun

Aug 1, 2018
    San Diego
    There is a surging type of hard rock called stoner rock, desert rock, and sometimes called doom. New material is being churned out by bands constantly that breaks away from the clinical auto tuned pop format. This genre is not exactly new and it will probably never really go mainstream, but in my opinion it is REALLY good. Far from stagnant.

Just to start the worm hole by naming a very few, check out;
    All Them Witches
    The Ugly Kings
    Truckfighters
    Somali Yacht Club
    Naxatras
    The Spacelords
    My Sleeping Karma
    Kyuss
    Clutch
    The Sword

The last few are older bands, but only Kyuss is not putting out new material. To me, this genre is where hard rock would have gone post Black Sabbath, Led Zepp, Deep Purple, etc. if the music industry had not commercialized it. YMMV

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    wmhill, Andre678 and FloridaTim like this.
  5. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

May 29, 2013
    Kissimmee, FL
    At one point I thought ska out of Orange County/Riverside was going to break through. All that happened was No Doubt broke through and left the rest behind. You just never know until it happens.

6. Verb the Noun

Verb the Noun

Aug 1, 2018
    San Diego
    People have the ability to self produce now. A solid home recording studio can be built relatively inexpensively. There are gobs of digital download formats to sell your music. Yeah, that means a LOT of garbage is out there to sift through. It also means people can make music without "the industry" looking over their shoulder and really good stuff is being put out.

Without the gears of the industry telling the masses who their new favorite band is, these self produced bands will probably never achieve the next big thing status. Rest assured however great music is alive and well. You just have to dig a bit to find it.

Matthew_84, Mr_Moo and bkbirge like this.
  7. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Movements like grunge normally represent a pendulum swing from a stagnating musical style situation, a response to current social issues, or both.

I think grunge was the answer to music having become too polished, sterile, and predictable in the late 80s, much as punk may have been an answer to music becoming too brainy and complex in the early/mid 70s.

The psychedelia in the 60s was in part a revolt against a perception of government oppression and what people at that point felt were bad decisions to go to war. I'm surprised something kind of like that hasn't happened again by now.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Mr_Moo and Nashrakh like this.
  8. Verb the Noun

Verb the Noun

Aug 1, 2018
    San Diego
    IMO, it has. This time musicians are rebelling against the big record companies and the industry standard. We don't need them anymore to produce and promote our music.

Beej in post #2 said it well. Kids are watching YouTube and Social media. Bands are wise to this and shifting accordingly. The days of filling a stadium as a measure of success are fading. Now it's all about how many views you get.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  9. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    This, sorta. The big sudden stylistic shifts of the 20th century were largely driven by constraints on physical distribution of recorded music. Thats all gone, for good or ill. There is no one chart that can really track the current market, its more like a river delta of converging and divergent streams. You have super techno EDM stuff next to throw back acts like Winehouse and Greta Van Fleet, singer songwriters and pop singers, a thriving (in some senses) underground metal scene (I really dig the desert/stoner/etc vibe myself, not so much for the black/death etc), a HUGE roots rock scene just under the surface (Americana, alt country, etc). There's just not enough money to be made in any ONE scene to give it the same marketing push the major labels used to put on for break out acts. And then the dozens of copy cat bands that followed. So on one hand, it sucks because there's no discernible trend to profit off of, but that also means you can make YOUR music, and put it out,and see if it really stands up.

IF mass appeal is your goal, anyway.

hrodbert696 and Verb the Noun like this.
  10. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Agreed. Though I was thinking more along social lines. Won't go political here other than to say that there seems to be as much controversial social stuff going on now as there ever was in the 60s, though I did miss the 60s by a few months.

Verb the Noun likes this.
  11. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    This is an interesting point- protest music was not well looked upon by the "establishment" in the music industry. It took Marvin Gaye a while to convince the powers that were to allow him to record "Whats going on?". If you watch the Woodstock film, and compare it to the "charts" at the time, you will see that the artists were very much NOT the mainstream in regards to sales, but were themselves reflective of the unrest in the under 30 population of the time. I think you have just as many.... socially conscious?.. artists today as then, but the market is just so diffuse, if all you really want is good time party anthems for your weekend at the lake, there's no need to hear any of it.

Plus you have the huge catalog and dominance of previously recorded music. Takes a really good song to punch through all that.

12. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yep.

Also, the tone of the music doesn't always match the social tone. In the 80s we were scared to death of nuclear war. There's some period art from the 80s that was anti-nuclear war music (Frankie Goes to Hollywood for instance), but largely the tone of the music was cheery.

13. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Eh, "99 Luftballoons"? "I hope the Russians love their children too"? "Land of confusion"? There was a breadth. But yeah, its that "gotta be snappy!!" aspect of label driven producers trying to make a hit. Which worked, I guess?

14. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Agreed - point being that even the "protest music" sounded upbeat. Most of it; not the Sting tune.

15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Actually, as someone who was a teen at the time, I felt I heard a LOT of music that was informed by nuclear anxieties. It just wasn't the sort of overt war-protest stuff that the hippies wrote, and a lot of it was translated into fantasies; Mad Max-style post-apocalyptic worlds were all the rage. Practically every band, however snappy and poppish, had at least one song that implied or presumed that we were perched on the edge of annihilation (Prince's "1999," for instance), or did an MTV video that set the song in such a context even if the lyrics didn't have anything obvious to do with war (Duran Duran's "Wild Boys" comes to mind).

Anyway, back to the OP, a lot of this discussion embeds a notion of music that "breaks through" into the market or the culture; but as a couple of people have pointed out, thanks to the digital revolution there really isn't that much of a common market to break into any more. The market is fragmented, and that's not all a bad thing. I think there's lots of interesting music being done - yes, on guitars, as well as other music - but it isn't top-of-the-pops stuff nor will it ever be - nor is the chart-topping music all that hegemonic any more. I posted in another thread a while back about throwing a playlist on the PA for my daughter's graduation party, all artists I love but that not too many people follow - Samantha Fish, Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas, JD McPherson, Iron and Wine, Katzenjammer, etc.

16. I got yer grunge right here!

17. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    It won't.
    There is a lot of guitar\bass\drums music being made, but current trends in the music industry mean it will never gain a large enough fan base to garner label\media interest, and there is no longer a media format that explores or "breaks" new artists.
    With pop music being all about electronics, there is no room for pop rock anywhere. Digital recording and distribution has allowed younger artists to produce exactly the sort of music they want, which is great artistically, but it also allows them to pigeonhole themselves into a niche. These tiny niches mean the music will never see the light of day beyond a small, fierce, group of listeners.
    Country has always existed in its own bubble. It has a fan base that is growing within its self, but its stayed format means it won't grab some people, and others will openly dislike it. I can't tell you how often I've read\heard "I can listen to anything except rap and country."

18. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    one needs only to embrace old stinky socks and that scuz along the base of the toilet bowel , Voila ! Grunge !!!

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  19. Guitar (or other actual instrument) based music is dead. It's all done on computers now.

20. Verb the Noun

Verb the Noun

Aug 1, 2018
    San Diego
    Mainstream pop? Yes.

Guitar based music dead? No. See my list in post #4. Alive and well, you just have to know where to look for it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021