Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where is your Serial #0001?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bass Kahuna, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    How many of the other Luthiers who are regulars on this forum know where their first bass is? Did you keep it yourself? Did you sell it and have since seen it sell for a pretty sum because it was serial #0001? Did you give it to a highly respected player as a gift?

How was the quality of it? Was it a solid, well built and finished playable bass or was it a prototype that would take quite a bit of work to make it usable?

I recently had The first Gledura Infinity Guitar, serial #0001 (bought by my customer from Ed Roman....) in my shop for a complete setup, and it got me to thinking.....

:^)~

2. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I don't know if I qualify as a luthier but I've built several basses over the years. The first one was in college wood shop in about 1979; a big, clunky neck-thru (passive, DiMarzio P/J) that I sold to the bass player in the school jazz band for $200. About 12 years later I saw it on consignment at a local music store for $500, but at the time I couldn't afford to buy it back. :bawl:

Last time I saw it was about 3 years ago, when I learned through a mutual acquaintance that it was owned by the bassist in a local hard blues band, the "Bone Daddies". I went and saw them do a gig and the bass looked somewhat the worse for wear but still sounded pretty good. As far as I know the guy still has it.

Shameless plug: for my latest bass-building adventure check this thread .

I'll be quiet now ;)

3. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    You don't wanna see it.......ugh:eek: :D

4. BrowneBasses

BrowneBasses Bass Builder

Sep 4, 2003
    Sparrow Bush, NY
    I still have #1 and plan on just holding on to it, who knows someone my want it some day when I'm like 70, haha.

-Mike

5. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada

I already have :eek: :(

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    My #1 is still at home and it'll stay there :D

Peace, JP

7. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Same for me, although I almost sold it to a fairly prominant 7 and sometimes 9 string bassist when I first made it...

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    my 001 is in my possession. it is my one and only fretless (so far) and it is completely playable and sounds great.

9. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    The first bass out of my shop was posted on Talkbass before the CUP pretty much chased me out of the main forum. The quality of it was okay, the finish wasn't great. It ended up going to my friend Carson McWhirter and was used to record an album then US and Japan (maybe Europe?) tour. The band he used it in is called The Advantage: Sample.

My first electric and acoustic guitars I built at school are the only ones I own right now. Still need to build myself a bass but I can never settle on an idea/style.

10. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    my first will be heading to my mums place this Christmas as a gift to her for all her support. I heard from my step dad thru my wife that she really wanted to have the first working prototype, and so it shall be.

she doesn't play, so I can only assume it will have sentimental value for her

all the best,

R

11. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Good topic.

Still have mine played it last night. Not pretty at all. I tried too much on my first bass. semi hollow heavy contours and figured maple top and back. I should have just made a simple one for my first......t

12. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I actually have my first 3 that I built from back in 84 when I started out. My first bass has been in a case in storage with my old ric 4001, and makes an appearence when i do some recording. The others #2 and #3 stay with my brother who is 10 times the bassist I could ever be. He plays them regularly, and that is what they were made for, so I enjoy knowing that he keeps them rockin.

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  14. The blanks for it are sitting in my garage ATM, will be done in the next few months and I don't think that I'll ever get rid of it.

lowsound

15. Im not a luthier yet but i just finished my first (hopefully of many) this week! Although i quite like the idea of sending it out into the world and running into it again in twenty years time i think ill just keep my grubby paws on it;)
    [​IMG]

16. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    I'm still building my first. When it's done, though, I'm never letting go of it.

17. My first is still with me and is my main fretless. It's been sort of a 6 year "work-in-progress" and there's more I'll do to it eventually. It's a hog at about 11 lbs but it's also a tone monster so there's no way I'll get rid of it.

And for the record, I'm not a luthier.

18. Holmann

Holmann

Dec 23, 2005
    Ashland, WI
    No idea- it sold to a guy who moved to Arkansas & didn't keep in touch. I had built about thirty five guitars (shh) before I got that order- I'm working on instruments 130-136 at the moment. Offhand I know the whereabouts of twenty or so.

19. [​IMG]
    Is that yourself? and, to keep on topic, is that your first bass???
    was browsing the examples on the build your own guitar site and came across this, unless its just a coincidence?!?!!?

20. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Awesome JP picture!

I gave #001 to a customer. A local kid who bought a 6 fretless from me early on who wanted a bass to put a Kahler tremolo on. It was a "special" bass, so I thought it would be better off in the wild.