where now?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by patrickroberts, Dec 5, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i have been playing bass for about 9 months and i have learned to play all aosis songs and aesy stuff like that, limp bizkit and i was wondering, i have been playing some chili peppers stuff, and i was wondering where sould i go from here, should i start to learn theory based knowledge or should i start to learn some hard stuff like chili peppers or the Jam?
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    At some point you will want to create your own bass lines and write your own music. Copying other players is excellent study and is always great for playing in cover bands. But sooner or later your bandmates will want to hear your lines, your own musical "voice".

My advice to you is to balance your studies. Continue to learn other bassists lines and use them to influence some of your original stuff. Learn the theory behind the music tht you play and write so that you can create original, exciting lines. Stretch you musical tastes and play with players that are better than you and listen to music that you don;t normally listn to.

Soak it all in. Finally, give yourself the permission to fail. What I mean is allow yourself to experiment and try new things even if they sound terrible. For each failure, you will have learned an invaluable lesson.