Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where on earth to start?!?!

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by golden_boy, Dec 27, 2004.

1. golden_boy

golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    I had been thinking I had a fair grasp on music theory - enough to get me along. However, I then found this board, and I have to say, a lot of it went over my head. I have only been playing bass for a year and a bit now, with no prior musical instrument interest.

I know the basics, such as scales, and the basics of chord progressions, but I was wondering where I should go next? I was rading through the thread on internalizing scales etc. and the majority was like a foreign language to me!

Thanks for any tips you can send my was Michael :)

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Music theory is a life long study. If you are still in school, it is a great idea to take some music theory classes. that is always a great start. Unless you are truly interested in it, theory can be a bit dry. Having a teacher and working through tunes, analyzing their structure, key centers, chord progressions and melodies really helps. The study of theory is not germaine to just the bass, you can get any book on it.

The thread on Internalizing scales got a bit out of hand. Tim99 did some great work although my intention was to simplify it. I am writing a book on it that should be done by February. That will be very clear and concise

Mike

3. golden_boy

golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    Great, thanks for the info. I just got a book today titled "A complete idots guide to Music Theory". It suits me well!

I guess I shall go get down to reading it then!