Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where should I be?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by MadPink, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Ive been playing bass for just over a year and Im just wondering where abouts should I be? We just started a band up but Im not really sure if Im good enough yet to play.

2. Mr, Wise Man

Mr, Wise Man

Apr 23, 2001
    You should be where you're at. And you're ready to play when you're ready.

See, that's part of the nice thing about what punk used to mean: there were no signs saying "You Must Be This Tall To Enter Ride." You do it 'cause you want to make your own noise your own way, or because you've found some good people to make noises with.

I know Watt's got stories about how clueless he was when he started out. Same for me, as well. At my first gig, I had a borrowed Dyna-Comp that I'd step on at random, guessing that it did something cool, but having no idea what. I'd switch to from fingers to pick based solely on how sore my fingers were. Eventually, if you stick at it long enough, you learn what works best for you.

3. a good musician never stops learning ... band practices will be a learning experience in themselves because you'll be interacting with the rest of the band, the drummer (and rhythm guitarist, presuming your group has two guitarists) especially. pay extra special attention to your drummer's kick drum foot - that's your mutual note.

also, tape your practices with a cassette deck or mini-disc recorder and listen for mistakes! then archive those tapes and in a year or so when you're doing good, you can always pull them out for a good laugh - "holy ****, were we terrible during that prac session! i didn't know my a-sharp from my b-flat!" :D

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

thank you both much, mister wise man and cj - you cats have said some great things and I agree big time.

"those who stop learning, stop living."

on bass, watt