Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where should I get a custom bass made?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkshadow54321, May 14, 2005.

1. darkshadow54321

darkshadow54321

Sep 3, 2004
    Hello everyone...

I really really want to have a custom bass made to my specs, but unfortunately, I don't have that much money to throw around. So, does anyone have any suggestions as to builders that produce excellent quality basses, but at decent prices? I'm thinking maximum 1500 dollars.

The specs are roughly this:

4 or 5 string
    Wenge neck with ebony fretboard
    Quilted maple top over korina or swamp ash body
    Music man style pickup
    Neckthrough construction
    Custom body shape (think p bass but with more style)

Any options out there for me?

2. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    No

But if you scrap the neck through idea why not attack good ol Nino
    im shure he could cater for most of that there!!

Sounds good thou!!

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    +1

If you want a bass made, go with Nino. There are MANY of us here who have experience with his basses and who swear by them.

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Most of those specs will be satisfied with a Groove Tools bass. Or, if you're not wedded to the wenge neck, a Carvin would do nicely. Never heard of this Nino fellow. I'll be sure to check it out.

5. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    Dave Pushic at www.dpcustom.com could probably make that bass for you for $1500 or less. You do get what you pay for however, so bear that in mind. He's a great guy but his basses have more of a 'homemade' feel to them than a 'custom luthier built' vibe. Some people love theirs, although you'll find plenty of complaints from people who were expecting CNC precision quality and Benavente-level fit and finish.

6. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Dude, talk to Nino. Bottom line.

7. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Here are some that are HIGHLY recommended and are fellow TBers:
    http://www.gwbasses.com/index.shtml

http://www.barbermusic.com/

http://www.lecomptebass.com/

These guys come to mind immediately!!
    I know I've left off a few but some of them might be above your target price range. Be patient but the wait is SO worth it to get a unique bass you'll have for the rest of your life!! (That's what I thought I was getting with my DPCustom).

DO NOT go with DPCustom whatever you do! I own one and paid less than $900 for it. Paying more for it would not have meant better quality from him only more expensive wood for him to do an mediocre job on.

RESEARCH YOUR OPTIONS!!

Jon

8. If you drop the neck-through & wenge, you could probably get a Stambaugh. Very nice. I refer to mine as 'The Most Beautiful Bass Of All Time'- it plays that well, too.

9. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    For some reason, after reading what you're looking for, I'm thinking of a Warwick Streamer...

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nino does not do neck through, or I would recommend Valenti.

Check out www.lecomptebass.com

Bud is a great guy, and may be able to do a neck through.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Check FBB- he has some specials in that price range.

13. Some people use veneer on the quilted and some use 1/2 inch thick maple stock. This can make some difference in the cost of construction.

14. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    One more option I wanted to mention:

http://www.jjhelms.com/

I've seen his work on Ebay but after checking out his website, his stuff looks very nice!! Seriously worth checking out.
    Jon

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Your wood choices may drive the price out of range. How 'bout a nice Warwick Streamer Pro M? I believe I saw two "98 models on E-bay. You get a bolt-on wenge neck / fingerboard, MM style pickup, solid maple body, nice looking hardware, and a Spector NS body shape.

Riis

16. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.

17. +1

I will have my stambaugh in a few weeks. I'm dying! But for the price and the options that he does not charge extra for... you can't go wrong.

18. I would give Michael Dolan a call in Santa Rosa, CA. He is very generous. I told him not to worry about expenive grade maple on the neck, for example, to keep costs around $1,500. So he used a beautiful birdseye. Everything was top notch. And many of the parts had to be fabbricated because of the scale length and look I was after. He could have rightly charged more for some of these things and he didn't.

I don't know about the other builders but I believe Dolan used to make Alembics back in the 70s. You may not require somebody with that quantity or quality of experience, but his prices are very reasonable for what you get.