Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where should I get my expensive tops resawn?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by John Ruiz, Apr 6, 2004.

1. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I live in Dallas, Tx, and I am a bit apprehensive about taking my expensive, exotic top boards to a regular wood shop for resawing, because I want to know that the person doing the work realizes how rare and/or expensive the piece of wood they are working on is.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or ideas about where to take my wood to be resawn? Any help would be appreciated!

2. This is NOT meant as any sort of advice to do this in your case but this is how I did it for a very expensive piece of flame ash.

I took my board to a traveling WOOD Magazine show. I knew that there would be some very big machines that could handle the 10"+ depth with ease. I found that the Mighty Max guys were quick to blast the Laguna guys and show the gathering crowd just what their machine could do. So with about 30 people watching the floor guy re-sawed my board in about 90 seconds perfectly! He got a great little show and I got my investment doubled!

I wonder what would have happened if I had come in with a pallet load?

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I've had good experiences at Wood World off of TI Boulevard. They have resawed some purple heart and some maple for me and they did a great job.

4. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    fantastic! I will give Wood World a look!

Hambone, that sounds like a cool way to get it done! PLUS you get to show off your purdy wood for a bunch of people!

The reason I am so concerned is primarily about one piece I have. It is a VERY pricey piece of Pink Ivory that I am going to make into a top for on a git-box I am building for my girl. This stuff is HARD and HEAVY, so I don't want someone to tear it up not knowing the intricacies of the "hobby" woodworking community. I think Wood World sounds like the kind of place I am looking for. Thanks!

5. Lord knows there are plenty of high end places that know how to treat wood. Fine furniture shops are often resawing to match wood for fancy tabletops and the like. Luthiers, of course, can do it iif they have the equipment. And wooden boat builders tend to have the equipment and the skill, though i'd make really sure that they knew how much the wood was worth :)

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i had a pretty well known local luthier resaw my koa.

nice job too!

f