Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where should I go from here?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lockout, May 8, 2004.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Well, after almost a year of planning, saving, and asking you guys for suggestions, my rig is nearly complete. Right now it consists of an Aguilar DB680 & DB728 running through a GS212 cab. I may add a GS210 later, but for now the rig is amazing enough for me. :cool:

Lately I've been thinking about getting a rack case for the DB680/DB728, but before I do, I thought it would be a good idea to ask if there is anything else I should add to my rack setup. I've been having a hard time deciding if I want to keep it simple or add more to it.

Is there anything you would suggest adding that may come in handy or would be a worthwhile addition to my rig? Or should I just get a 6-space rack and be done with it?

The only thing I've really thought of adding is a rackmount tuner, like a Korg DTR-1000 or something similar. Other than that, I have no idea if there is anything else that my rig should have in it... so I'd appreciate any opinions or suggestions on this matter. ;)

Thanks!

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Well, in fact there are many things you can add to a rig :

- a tuner, as you said
    - a subharmonizer (i.e. Behringer UltraBass)
    - a compressor (i.e. DBX)
    - an effect unit (flanger, reverb, delay or chorus may sound fine especially if you play fretless)
    - a rackmount wireless receiver

This will add 5 units to your rack capacity needs... ;)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, a Behringer processor will really spruce up that Aguilar rig.

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Oops, forgot to mention that I already have a compressor (DBX 160A) and I don't really care for it... I guess compression isn't really my thing. :)

What does a subharmonizer do? I've heard of them before, but I have no idea what they are used for.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    A subharmonizer adds a low note to the note you play. Either one or two octaves down. Very efficient if you want "earthquake" lows... I love it on the lower notes, less on the upper ones.

Well, Munji does not seem to like Behringer. I also don't in a general way, but I found the Ultrabass pretty efficient.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :meh:

:meh:

somethings missing

Uhmm... like a POWER CONDITIONER or something? ;)

I think its good to have one - it can protect your gear from frying when a sudden electricity surge ( :confused: ?) ... erm ... me no speak english of electroengineering, but I think you get the idea ;)

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My opinion:

1. Don't poison your top of the line primo rig with Behringer 'anything'. You have quality gear with pure, creamy tone - you don't need any artificial tone enhancements to compensate for anything.

2. A good quality power conditioner, or better yet, a regulator, is always a good thing.

3. Consider a shock rack.

4. Your DBX compressor is top notch, don't replace it. If compression is not for you, don't worry about it. Your Aggie has some natural tube compression anyway.

5. I like rack mount tuners. Opinions vary. At least you can keep a rack tuner out of your signal loop so it doesn't suck any beef from your tone (I've noticed the Boss TU-2 isn't true-bypass and sucks a tiny tad of tone if used in-line).

6. If there is a rack mount effect you really like, use it. But don't go out looking for something 'just because'.

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yes, that's what I meant to say.

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Especially the first point, heh? ;) :D

10. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yep, all good ideas. I'm pretty positive I'll be getting a shockmount rack.

As for the power conditioner/regulator... It seems I'm seeing a few conflicting opinions here. A few people have told me that the power supplies in Aguilar gear (the DB728 at least, not really sure about the DB680) are overdesigned, and that a power conditioner wouldn't be absolutely necessary. Couldn't hurt to have one, but I'd rather not buy one unless it's really needed. What do you think?

I'm not really looking for something "just because", I'm just trying to lower my chances of getting GAS over something later and not having the rack space to accommodate it. :D

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Bump. Is there anything that hasn't been mentioned yet?

I looked into the subharmonizer idea, but it seems like I'd be much more likely to blow my speakers with one, so I think I'll stay away from them for now. ;)

12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    To answer your question about power conditioners you can think of it like this:

You're going to have a lot of crap to plug things into, you'll need to add a surge protector and a long extension cord....or...you can get a Furman Power Conditioner and feel that much safer that all your gear is protected. If something were to happen to everything else in your loop...you're screwed. If something were to happen when you're using your Furman I believe they will pay for repairs on your equipment up to a certain value. I'm not sure on that last one though.

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Keep your rack simple. If you want to add stuff, put it in a separate rack. Those thing get heavy quick.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, think of the maximum number of rack spaces you will ever need. Then buy a rack with two more spaces than that. Trust me on this.