1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where should I put my noise supressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jason Wilson, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Hi
    I have a Boss GT-10b and it has a bazillion effects on it.
    Now I am just a little unsure where the noise supressor shoudl go in the chain? Should it go right at the start, before distortion but after chorus, etc

Are there any simple rules?

Cheers

2. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Never really used a noise suppressor but did help my band mate set up his board (guitar) and he had one anyway I'd put it after distortion then have modulation after as they shouldn't make much noise if any at all, experiment about see what happens!

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Noise suppressors should go AFTER whatever it is that's making noise. But better, is to eliminate anything that's noisey, and replace it with something that doesn't cause problems in the first place.

4. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Anything bigger than a 9mm or .38 and it isn't that effective. Try smaller calibers.

5. I agree, and that'll take some experimentation on the OP's part. Generally, modulation and time shifting effects don't add noise as much as other effects, so it'll usually go before any effects like reverb, delay, chorus, etc. Those effects sometimes do create or add noise, but it's been my experience that cheap pickups and analog pitch shifting devices are usually the worst offenders.

6. The same is true for when you're trying to scare the neighbor kids to get off yer damned lawn.

7. ChrisHooker

ChrisHooker

Jul 29, 2012
    Maryville, TN
    Agreed on most of what's been said.

I place noise suppres. / noise gates:
    -After noise-producing components (to kill their noise) - is the bass producing the noise, or an effect? or both?
    -Before compression/limiting (so that you have the most dynamic range for the gate/suppressor to operate on - the lowest noise floor compared to wanted signal) (be cautious that the compressor doesn't cause noise itself, vs. just bringing the level of pre-existing noise up... You may opt to place the noise red. after the compressor in that case)
    -Before long-tailed delays/reverbs (to prevent them from getting cut off)​

8. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    I like mine on the .45 uzi, but you have to load sub sonic rounds. Gets a nice solid thunk.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021