Where should I start?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Arti, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Arti

Sep 23, 2005
    I would like to teach myself bass. What book or website would be good for a complete beginner?

Eventually I would like to take lessons, but that's not an option right now, since my schedule won't allow for much spare time. The little spare time I'll have won't be predictable enough for me to set up weekly appointments, or whatever.
  2. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Seattle WA area
    try the lessons at activebass.com as there is a lot of TAB demo play a long there, and tab is easy. the most amazing part of it is the site will actually PLAY the lessons for you, with or withour backing music, and at a tempo you can handle. the only thing missing is the bouncing ball (whihc, if you need that, give up now!)

however, if you are really interested in the long term, tab is bad, as it make reading real music seem hard -- which it is not, all it takes is practice.

that said however, the lessons on activebass.com will definitely get you started -- i like to use them a lot. go to lessons, and click on most popular. the top 10-12 are all beginner related, so you can't go wrong there. one guy even did a nice progressive lesson over like 13 pages.
  3. Andy On Bass

Andy On Bass

Sep 10, 2005
    Check out the book Bass Guitar For Dummies. Don't let the name fool you, its a great book with a lot of valuable material! You should be able to find at a large number of online retailers. :)
  4. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    The two posts above gave the same answers I would have. http://www.activebass.com/ and the book Bass Guitar for Dummies by Patrick Pfieffer (it was $16 USD on Amazon last time I picked up a copy, which was for my nephew). Two excellent resources for those just starting out. ;)

Good luck and have fun!! :bassist:
  5. Bullet-Bob

Aug 20, 2005
    I have found Mel Bay's books to be very handy and useful.

Also, the search feature here can bring up some excellent threads on Music Theory, Practice tips, etc.

That said, I have to admit I do better with an instructor than when on my own.
  6. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

That is a bad excuse for no lessons. You really can't spare one hour of your life once every week.... but you have time to "teach yourself bass"? I dun thunk soooooooooo
  7. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    He said he didn't have enough consistency in his schedule to be able to make regular lessons. Makes sense to me. It's still going to be really difficult to make headway like this.
  8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Take some lessons - at least to get your basic technique set by a knowledgable instructor. Use the Hal Leonard series that was edited by Ed Friedland. Great series - 3 books, CD's included. I use it with ALL my beginning students.
  9. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    I spose it depends what kind of bass playing you're looking to do... if it's rock, you could do worse than to start by trying to play along with your favorite CD's

I know learning to play the bass by picking up a bass and playing it might seem like a wacky concept but it's no weirder than learning to play bass by reading a website about playing bass :)
  10. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Uhhh... where does it say that?
  11. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but sounds like no consistent free time. I said it would be a tough row to hoe because that's what it has been for me, with no teacher available. I'm convinced I would have progressed much faster and developed better habits if I had the value of a teacher. And still would, 6 years down the road. Just can't find one locally.
  12. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    It will take you longer to teach yourself then if you just got lessons. I'm a fulltime college student and have a fulltime career (Aerospace Engineering), I still take lessons, practice 3 hours a day, and SOMETIMES I can actually make it to my instructors shows, and learn a lot just by watching. An Instrument isn't something you can really teach yourself if you live a hectic lifestyle, and it's a great way to develope bad habits fast. Find a teacher, and explain your situation, they won't mind a few cancellations.
  13. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Nope- I just didnt read the second half of his post. Oh well....

anyways- what the aerospace guy said is gold.
  14. :eyebrow:
    That's impossible
  15. RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    I can't stress the importance of using a teacher.

A book that is worth collecting is "Bass Guitar for Beginners to Advanced" by Gary Turner