Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where should i start?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by only4him012, Nov 26, 2002.

1. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    where should i start looking to buy a bass guitar? doesn't matter if it's been in the stock for a long...as long as it's good deal.....where~~?:D :eek:

2. Avril

Avril

Aug 23, 2002
    eeeeeeeebbbbbbaaaaaaayyyyyyy

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Price range? Stlye of music you want to play? Have you played any basses you like?

www.rondomusic.com has Essex basses, which are generally regarded as great deals.

Yamaha makes killer entry level instruments.

4. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I wouldn't recommend e-bay unless you know exactly what you're looking for.
    It's a hit or miss sometimes. You'll never know what condition that bass is in until you take it out of the box.

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I'd go to a local music store, pick up every bass in your price range and mess around---that should help you i.d. what it is you want. Then check Ebay, or Musiciansfriend.com or zzounds.com for prices (or the multitude of other sites that sell basses) and find the best price. Some folks refuse to buy guitars without seeing the exact one they will play, but I've done it several times and had a good success rate (as long as your ok with doing some set-up yourself--or taking it to a local shop for that).
    I don't own one, but the Essex stuff at rondomusic.com is getting great reviews on here...might be worth a look (like Brendan mentioned above)

:cool:

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Be wary of Musician's Friend-you can find almost the same selection at Guitar Center, and you'll be able to haggle the price down.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I think the advice of going to a music store and playing all the models in your price range is the way to go. This way you can identify what your needs are in terms of sound, feel, weight, and looks. Then you will be able to make an informed decision as to what bass will work for you.

If you see two basses of the same make and model play both of them. They may vary in quality, one being a dog, the other an instrument of some quality.

Good luck and have fun.

Dan