Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where should my DI go

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by violatedppl, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Right now I am running to basses through and ABY (ibanez srx505, fender MIM jazz) into a peavey Tmax into a peavey 1810. I use a few effects through the effects loop. and I was wondering should I put my MXR M80 before my amp or put it in the effects loop. I am going to be used tme m80 mainly as a pre for my jazz, but also as an overdrive pedal. So I thought I would get some more opinions on this matter. MY vote would be in front of the amp, but thats just my opinion.
    Thanks

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    If you are using it for overdrive/distortion you definately should go before the amp and not in a loop at all

3. I am more using it to get an overdrive sound without really overdriving the pre, more like you would a dist/od Im note using it in the since to overload my pre just to give the effect of an over driven tube pre(the head already has a tube and SS pre) so it will be more to add a little growl to the head. not sure if it makes any sense to you.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Are you actually using it as a DI?

Either way I would put it before the amp. But the DI will not get any of the effects in the effects loop of the amp.

Normally I would go:

Bass -> Effects -> SansAmp -> Amp

The DI on the SansAmp could then go to a mixer and get the effected output. The MXR M80 is equivalent to a SansAmp.