1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where should tuner pedal go?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mike19, May 9, 2010.

1. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    Like most pedal chains that I have seen, I have my tuner placed first (bass into tuner).

Lately, I have noticed that a number of effects pedals and switchers have a "tuner out" .

Is there any difference between having the tuner first or plugging the tuner into another pedal in the chain?

2. Using the tuner out avoids possible tone suck, by removing the tuner from the signal path. Also *some* tuner outs have a reduced higher harmonic content to help the tuner lock in easier.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I have mine last in my signal chain, but only because I would use it as a mute to set up loops before playing a song.

4. first or last, anywhere in between is point less. first means that it won't be effected by any pedals but some hum may remain if pedals are turned on. last means it can act as a total mute but may be influanced by pedals that are turned on before it.

5. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    My tuner is a Korg pitchblack which the manufacturer states is a "true bypass". If this is correct, then I should have no problem putting it first in the chain, but if I put it last the accuracy of the tuning may be affected by the pedals in front of it. Correct?

6. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Correct. Run it first in the chain; bass into tuner. I have a Fender PT100; arguably a cheap-ish tuner. It has two outputs; an always-on and a pass-thru-mute. I use the latter. When I hit the footswitch the output is muted and I tune. When the footswitch is off, it's pass-thru. To my knowledge, it's not a true bypass design, but I don't hear any tone-suck at all. In your case, the PB being true bypass you should have zero problems with it first in your chain. :)

7. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I've got my tuner in the first spot on my board. I have an Ernie Ball volume pedal at the end of my chain to use as my end of chain mute which I think works better as I can gradually bring my volume back up again. However, I don't think it should matter that much where you stick your tuner as long as it is being fed a clean signal and is not adversely affecting pedals after it. (for example, some fuzz pedals most notably of which is the wooly mammoth, do not like sitting behind buffered pedals like the TU-2.)