Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to begin?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Oct 20, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Hmm, well im looking into expanding my abilities beyond finger dexterity, and so i was wondering where to go to now. The list of things i want to learn include:

Ear training
    Theory
    Reading Music (specifically just the fretboard/bass clef)
    Harmonics
    Tapping

I know all these things are interrelated (except maybe tapping), but i think it would be more effective for me to start with one and then go to the next, etc. as opposed to trying them all at the same time and stretching myself thin. Is this right? Or is it better to do them all at the same time?

If i should do them in an order, what order should i do them in? Ive been told to forget theory until i know the bass clef/fretboard, but ear training is important to, and tapping and harmonics are cool(i know, i know, whats cool isnt what's most musical/practical, but still)...augh! Where should i begin?!

Also, what are some good ways to go about learning these things?

Thanks!

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    bump

I guess no one is man enough to answer my ultimate post of coolness...maybe i should ask a guitar player

(Dodges hail of bullets)

Run away!

3. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Well that's not an easy question. Filling out your profile would probably help people give you advice here.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Work on reading music, ear training and theory. Tapping and harmonics are secondary subjects compared to the first three.

5. Yup, I agree. don't worry about "spreading yourself too thin" because they are almost joined at the hip, ie learning one will strengthen the other.