Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to buy a bypass pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gfab333, Mar 1, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have an effects pedal that is not a true bypass. Anyone know of a bypass pedal that could be placed in the signal chain so that I could either go true bypass to the amp, or go through the pedal for its effects.

I envision one cable from the bypass pedal to the amp, and one cable from the bass to the bypass pedal. The effects pedal would be located in loop off of the bypass pedal. Yes, I would have to stomp on two floor switches, but then I'd have true bypass.

2. you will get screwed in buying one... they cost WAAAYY more then they're worth. I suggest building one... under 10 bucks.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Future girl used to have one for 40 bucks, but now they only offer the dual which is somewhere around 76 before shipping. This caused me to get a router instead.

Dual true bypass box <---Click me

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Those wah pedals look sweet too.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Well, I bought that MMFX (Morgan Miller) bypass pedal that was suggested in an earlier post in this thread. It works great. The single bypass model was $50. It gives me true bypass when I'm not using any effects.

If any of you are using an effects pedal that doesn't have true bypass and sucks your tone when the effects are off, this is the ticket. It's built to last, very sturdy construction. Morgan sent it to me promptly in less than 2 weeks. I guess he makes them as the orders come in (I think stock analysts call this "just-in-time inventory").

6. Morgan Miller gave me very prompt online service....he got my $$$ as a result. Companies that don't respond to my emails don't get my $$$.

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have one of Future Girls single loop true bypass boxes and it works real well. I also like that it is very compact (smaller than a Boss pedal) so it doesn't take up a lot of real estate on my pedalboard. I wonder why she quit making the single loop boxes? I think I got one of the last ones.

-KB

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    is this how a true bypass box works?

input
    ll
    bypass box (loop) effect=effect=etc. (/loop)
    ll
    amp

9. you can build one yourself very easely...

why spend $ 50, when you can make one yourself for less than $ 10 ?

10. See, it's comments like this that are bringing this economy to it's knees!
    :D

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Like I said in a previous post, I bought the Morgan Miller MMFX bypass pedal. It works great, and I'm very happy with it.

For $50 of my money, I'm happy with the product. I don't have the patience or the technical skills to solder wires to jacks, etc. I don't mind spending $50 so that I don't have to hassle with the issue. and I got the spare cash too.

To each is own... I can understand why other people would rather make their own pedal, and that's fine. I got no argument with them.

On the flipside.... when it comes to other things like setting up the action and intonating a bass, I can't see myself paying for that, since I have the ability to do it myself. Other people may not have the ability, so they'd have to go out and pay for someone to do it.

Peace

12. good ! bring those capitalist-pigs to the ground ! :D

b.t.w. it's also comments like those that keep your wallet in top-condition ;)

13. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so...howz about answering my question?

is it possible to create true bypass for as many effects as you want within a single loop?

if so, why does mmfx offer virtually limitless loops (within reason) when a single loop can do the job?

14. Well geez, why do you think? Loop on/ loop off. Signal passes un-affected when loop is off, effected when it's on. Three loops means three different "presets" at your fingertips depending on which boxes you have in those paticular loops. My MM CPR is an example of this...check it out! You can't go wrong.

15. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    cool. thanks, mad man.

i still wonder why one would want more than 1 loop. i can kinda see the advantages, but you would only be able to use the effect(s) in the loop that is turned on, correct?

16. well say you always used a bit flange with a certain overdrive. you could put both of those in a loop to be able to turn those both on and off without tap dancing. Many combinations can be made this way. Im making to bypass pedals for two seperate loops:
    very soon (hopefully) my rig should be like this:

Bass: loop one (moogerfooger) - fulltone bass drive - loop two (digitech bass whammy; dunlop wah, boss bass od, mxr phase 90, boss bass chorus, boss bf-3 flanger, akai headrush OR line6 delay [havent decided yet]) - GK 800 (to be replaced by 1001 when i start gigging again i thinks :) )